Going to MOAB. Suggestions on a family friendly trail?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife wants to go on a Jeep Tour on a super mellow trail becaus we have little kids. I don't want to pay for this because we have a 2016 LR4 and also think its a waste to pay for a mellow trail tour. If I pay i'd prefer something beyond my skill set.
I'd rather drive ourselves on a mellow day trail. I have 18" Comps and Nitto Ridge grapplers.

I have tons of mud, snow and extremely narrow / steep mountain trail driving experience. But very little *technical off-road experience in the LR4 (which I don't plan on doing with the family). I used to off-road with my Xterra but that was 15 years ago.

Any suggestions for a good day trail?

Cheers
Mike

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife wants to go on a Jeep Tour on a super mellow trail becaus we have little kids. I don't want to pay for this because we have a 2016 LR4 and also think its a waste to pay for a mellow trail tour. If I pay i'd prefer something beyond my skill set.
I'd rather drive ourselves on a mellow day trail. I have 18" Comps and Nitto Ridge grapplers.

I have tons of mud, snow and extremely narrow / steep mountain trail driving experience. But very little *technical off-road experience in the LR4 (which I don't plan on doing with the family). I used to off-road with my Xterra but that was 15 years ago.

Any suggestions for a good day trail?

Cheers
Mike

Mike,

we did the Shafer Canyon and Potash Road route with our F-350 Crewcab 4x4 Diesel. Great trip if you want some epic vistas. Not for the faint of heart at the end with the switchbacks just b4 you get into Canyonlands, but soooo awesome.

We used 4x4 only b/c it helped with the washboards. Your air ride will handle that much better that are straight axle, standard suspension Super Duty.

Bonus, you drive right to the spot where they filmed the cliff scene from Thelma and Louise.

Also, I would be absolutely remiss if I did not inform you to STAY AWAY from the cronuts at Doughbirds Donut shop on Main Street if you value your health. They are so good, months later my kids are still citing that as one of the reasons they want to go back to MOAB.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the HD package?
Yes, but I'd like to avoid being on a trail like that with the kiddos. I'd prefer a great scenic drive that isn't inundated with Subaru wagons.

Last edited:

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike,

we did the Shafer Canyon and Potash Road route with our F-350 Crewcab 4x4 Diesel. Great trip if you want some epic vistas. Not for the faint of heart at the end with the switchbacks just b4 you get into Canyonlands, but soooo awesome.

We used 4x4 only b/c it helped with the washboards. Your air ride will handle that much better that are straight axle, standard suspension Super Duty.

Bonus, you drive right to the spot where they filmed the cliff scene from Thelma and Louise.

Also, I would be absolutely remiss if I did not inform you to STAY AWAY from the cronuts at Doughbirds Donut shop on Main Street if you value your health. They are so good, months later my kids are still citing that as one of the reasons they want to go back to MOAB.
JC that is a giant rig. Any code browns on the switchbacks in that thing?

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC that is a giant rig. Any code browns on the switchbacks in that thing?
LOL. Yeah wife wasn't thrilled when there were three rigs coming down and we were coming up on one of the turns. They were all three clueless. In fact, one waved me over and ask me how to get his rented jeep into 4WD. So, I had to park the truck on the edge and get out and direct three drivers on how to navigate the turn. Wife was staring straight down the sheer wall. Kids were saying "this is cool dad". Mom, not so much.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I'd like to avoid being on a trail like that with the kiddos. I'd prefer a great scenic drive that isn't inundated with Subaru wagons.

I was wondering if you had the 2 speed transfer which would make things more "controlled"

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fins N Things is pretty much "the" intro to Moab trail, and you won't have an issue with it. Potash Rd/White rim can be done in a regular old sedan.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fins N Things is pretty much "the" intro to Moab trail, and you won't have an issue with it. Potash Rd/White rim can be done in a regular old sedan.
I actually just did this trail a few weeks ago.

There was only one obstacle that I threw my car into max height (using my GAP IID tool) to avoid scraping my rear bumper.

Gotta watch your departure angle. You'll know when you get there.

I scraped a 1 square inch patch on the bottom textured plastic part of my bumper.

Stock LR4 with HD package, and 255/60R/19 Toyo AT3's aired down. Car did fantastic.

MHammy

Reaction score
We did Chicken Corners with our kids this spring. Our LR4 is largely stock, only has about 1” lift with the gap tool and running on BFG 32”. We did the entire trail which took about 4hrs. One kid loved it, the other (the less adventurous) not so much. It was our first trek, and brought some recovery gear and extra food/water just in case. All in all, it was a lot of fun and absolutely recommend it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72