Greasy transmission, should I be worried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
This car is 78k miles young. Too soon if you ask me

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't expecting anyone to just know what's going on, but guesses from those with more experience is what I was looking for.

I'll talk off some plastics, do some more digging and take more shots to share here soon. These things always come up in the wrong time . Had so much time over the holidays, but discovered just when things are beginning to get busy...

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
I am doing the transmission pan on the 2013 later this month and I am already making another tragically long video - in case you are inclined to wait a bit...

While access will be tight, I do not agree that this will require raising the transmission to allow access.

Per the ZF Factory Service Guide:
On page 1 - Depending on the driving style, ZF recommends a transmission oil change every 80,000 to 120,000 km or after eight years at the latest.That's 50,000 - 75,000 miles
Yay, looking forward to it. Will zf8 follow same process as zf6?

Although, looks like I'm looking at a bigger project in my near future. Hey, if you are looking for a subject car to work on an oil leak investigation and repair you tube video, let me know

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This car is 78k miles young. Too soon if you ask me

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't expecting anyone to just know what's going on, but guesses from those with more experience is what I was looking for.

I'll talk off some plastics, do some more digging and take more shots to share here soon. These things always come up in the wrong time . Had so much time over the holidays, but discovered just when things are beginning to get busy...

If oil isn't hitting the ground then it isn't an emergency.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
ay, looking forward to it. Will zf8 follow same process as zf6?

On a superficial level the process is the same, sure - take it apart and put it together:D, but in practice, NO, the procedures have many important differences.
The last major project I did before making any videos was actually the ZF8, so that truck is done - but I have since purchased another so there might be a ZF8 coming up in the future.
If you are interested in the mean time, find that massive 30 page thread about this project - deep in there I wrote up the procedure for the ZF8.

As far as the video - make it your self! I don't want to steal your thunder!
The hardest part is learning how to hold the phone somewhat steady and the million re-records to get it somewhat correct. And then the editing...
I have found that making the video takes way longer than the actual project.

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
I had the same amount of oily residue in the same areas of those pics. Turns out my transmission cooler lines were leaking in the front bottom.
Yep. When I serviced the trans on our 16' model it was the same. Cooler lines were wet. Also the same coming from drivers valve cover or vaccuum pump. Hard to tell from below. Degreased everything. Not a concern until it starts marking its territory.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72