Greasy transmission, should I be worried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get a second opinion to be sure unless you know those guys well enough not to stick it to you when the issue was really a valve cover gasket as mentioned. During my research prior to purchasing I don't think I even read about a rear main seal go bad but I'm sure they are out there. Nothing like the coolant system problems. I had valve cover gasket leak oil and it would smoke at the end of the off-ramp.
I've only seen two rear main seals that were bad.
Both vehicles had this weird groaning noise.
There was actually a vacuum leak through the rear main seal into the torque convertor cavity. I could feel engine vacuum at the transmission bell housing weep hole.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get a second opinion to be sure unless you know those guys well enough not to stick it to you when the issue was really a valve cover gasket as mentioned. During my research prior to purchasing I don't think I even read about a rear main seal go bad but I'm sure they are out there. Nothing like the coolant system problems. I had valve cover gasket leak oil and it would smoke at the end of the off-ramp.
I’ve had mine done when my trans blew. Wouldn’t even touch one unless you already have to remove the trans.

In another note, the D5 with the SCV6 that my parents have had to get one done at 30k miles under warranty, that one was probably just bad luck tho.

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
BTW. Thanks to Rover Range hanging around these forums. Having an actual JLR technician around is gold. GOLD!
Couldn't agree more. GOLD!

I took some stuff off the front and I notice some greasiness in front - looks like valve cover may be it (left, driver's side). Doing a valve cover job should be a lot quicker/cheaper. Maybe even something I could tackle. More to come....

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. GOLD!

I took some stuff off the front and I notice some greasiness in front - looks like valve cover may be it (left, driver's side). Doing a valve cover job should be a lot quicker/cheaper. Maybe even something I could tackle. More to come....

I have to do both of mine this summer and reseal my upper timing covers. The hard part is pulling the injectors and buying the tool to do so. Then since your pulling them you might as well get them cleaned.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had mine done when my trans blew. Wouldn’t even touch one unless you already have to remove the trans.

In another note, the D5 with the SCV6 that my parents have had to get one done at 30k miles under warranty, that one was probably just bad luck tho.
How many miles did you get out of the tranny?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635