Greetings and stumbling acceleration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim LR4

Reaction score
Greetings! Long time lurker, finally took the plunge about two months ago. 2013 LR4, 80,000 miles. Have grown to like the vehicle even more than I ever expected. Daughter and wife have also, which was completely unexpected. Unfortunately, I am get a stumbling upon 3/4 acceleration only 6 weeks after purchasing. Light throttle and full throttle are generally fine. This is only during fairly heavy acceleration. Have taken it to two different shops, no codes. New air filters, cleaned MAF sensors, physically cleaned throttlebody plate to no avail. Both mechanics seem to think that this is carbon buildup on the valves. Have run two bottles of Techron through it, and one bottle of Liqui-Moly Valve cleaner (I have 11 more to go). Started running shell and Sunoco top-tier gas in it. Absolutely no change yet.
Do you all concur that this is likely? Both agreed that it won’t leave me stranded (for THIS issue, at least) but it’s maddening trying to solve this, obviously because there are no trouble codes.
Walnut blasting the valves has been recommended to me, but wanted to get your thoughts first.
Thank you.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly. Understand that putting techron will clean up the injectors but not the valves as this a direct injection engine. Unlikely it is plugs so yeah could be dirty valves but 80k is not high miles. Full throttle is ok? Likely fuel pumps are ok. Tell you what considering it is a 2013 perhaps sell it to me if you can't sort it.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe try the good old Italian tune up? I have a 2013 with 91k miles and no such issue. Always run top tier fuel (Costco) and tend to drive with a lead foot.

I've read plenty of stories with the EcoBoost F150's getting carbon build up on the valves and having problems with that.

What kind of RPM range does this happen at? 3000-4000 you said?

Jim LR4

Reaction score
Ktm - yes, thank you for clarifying Techron re: fuel injectors only. I’ve done a lot of reading about direct injection since. Also, thank you for offering to buy it; that’s very kind and compassionate. Lol.

F1racer: yes probably 3k-4.5k rpms. The mechanic did indeed tell me to “not drive it gently” which is no problem for me.

I gotta tell you guys - pondered a Disco for years but couldn’t bring myself to do it. Instead, had 2 Land Cruisers (80 series and 100 series). Great vehicles but started to nickel and dime, and the 100 had terrible rust on the frame. I know going from Toyota to LR was a reckless move but I think I’m prepared to handle it. I simply refused to continue paying the “Toyota tax” any longer. The prices of used cruisers is absurd. Plus, I’m starting to see how desired the LR’s are. Hopefully this issue shakes out.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had two FJ40's, a 60 series, an 80 series (that was my DD for about 8 years), and an LX470. My dad now has a 100 series as an extra vehicle.

Compared to my DD Land Cruiser (the 1995 80 series I drove from 2000 to 2008), the LR4 isn't really "unreliable," but it does take an owner who is willing to stay on top of maintenance things. I was like that with my 80 series anyway (constantly looking for things to do on it, like rebuilding the front knuckles, pesky heater hose, etc.), so it's not a big departure for me.

Last edited:

CaliLee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm $10k in for the year on my 2010, granted that is with some mods. I've spent more on maintenance for this vehicle than on all the other vehicles I've owned in my life combined.

Still love it though.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hesitation on acceleration - typically means lean condition I think. Maybe check your fuel trims if you have a scanner that can do it (like GAP tool). Note if you are lean on one or both banks. Lean condition could be dirty injectors or valves as mentioned. Another “low hanging fruit” thing to check is the PCV diaphragm - pretty easy access on the V8. Typically would give you a code, but not always.

Any knocking? Hesitation also could be knock sensor. Could be throttle position sensor too, though I haven’t seen many people on here complain about those going bad.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA