Grill/bumper or rack lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tucsontom

Reaction score
Who has what and what are your experiences with axillary lighting? Looking at PIAA 520ATP, Rigid R-series round LED's, Rugged Ridge 5" HID or.... Looking for a round light that looks good on the grill but performs off-road. I have had rack lights and am hoping to avoid the wiring they require but they might do a better job. More of a flood/driving beam pattern. NO spots. Could be amber for dust. Any experiences to sharing with where they are mounted and individual brands?

I have had Hellas, LightForce, PIAA and Pro-comp over the years. Of those the PIAA's were my favorite.

Thanks,

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Baja LED's on the grille and a superbrightleds.com 40" light bar on the rack. I'm considering swapping the baja's to these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...edium=email&utm_campaign=fathersday_reminderA as I too like the round lights.

On my d-90, I have the Hella 4000 LED's. They are bright as can be but I've had one of the control boards fail on one of them. Hopefully they are capable of withstanding harsher environments.

tucsontom

Reaction score
The link you sent- those look like a great value and have low, medium and high beams. Looks like they will be sort of a bluish white light sine the are rated and 6900K. The Hella 4000's are out of my price range and likely I do not need quite that much light. I hope to find something under 6000k light quality for a warmer light. I know I want round.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The link you sent- those look like a great value and have low, medium and high beams. Looks like they will be sort of a bluish white light sine the are rated and 6900K. The Hella 4000's are out of my price range and likely I do not need quite that much light. I hope to find something under 6000k light quality for a warmer light. I know I want round.

You are going to be hard pressed to find something more warm, that is economical. Maybe see what some of the jeep outfitters are selling.

tucsontom

Reaction score
The more I look at the link you sent (superbright) the more I like it. Since it has low medium and high settings. Good price. Look sturdy. Have you see the switch - is it some sort of dial due to the 4 position nature?

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That set doesn't come with a switch or wiring harness. They intend for it to be an H4 light replacement on trucks like jeeps and defenders (notice the blade style connector in the diagram). You would need to do something custom but it would be pretty easy. I would just tie the position light into your running lights and combine the low and high on one switch. On/off. Or you could do 2 switches or a 3 position switch if you want the low then highs. Kind of a neat idea to be able to switch between the amount of aux lighting now that you make me think of it.

tucsontom

Reaction score
Hmm. Good thoughts! I saw the mounting bracket - which looks perfect but no switch and was scratching my head a bit. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72