handling conering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well does the LR3 corner twist country roads?

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you're really getting a LR3, Ron? The thing weighs over 2.5 tons. It has air springs. It does not "handle." Its mass keeps it planted, but its mass and height are enemies to handling so the thing leans over on its door handles during turns.

Just to anticipate your next questions, everyone knows that silver LR3s handle better than black ones, though silver ones have more problems out of warranty and after 100,000 miles - but this is all reversed for silver ones equipped with the Bluetooth option - and that black ones get 2 % better fuel economy over 200,000 miles of ownership only if not equipped with the cold weather package.

ronLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you're really getting a LR3, Ron? The thing weighs over 2.5 tons. It has air springs. It does not "handle." Its mass keeps it planted, but its mass and height are enemies to handling so the thing leans over on its door handles during turns.

Just to anticipate your next questions, everyone knows that silver LR3s handle better than black ones, though silver ones have more problems out of warranty and after 100,000 miles - but this is all reversed for silver ones equipped with the Bluetooth option - and that black ones get 2 % better fuel economy over 200,000 miles of ownership only if not equipped with the cold weather package.

My Sequoia is heavier and corners almost as good as a jetta had several years back. Why would color make a difference with handling or warranty?

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do lots of mountain driving and it does very well but it not a porsche or even VW for that matter. If you want something to corner well on country road probably not the best option. BTW white gets the worst gas mileage.

ronLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do lots of mountain driving and it does very well but it not a porsche or even VW for that matter. If you want something to corner well on country road probably not the best option. BTW white gets the worst gas mileage.

I know, and I need a truck or SUV capable off road, but also capable on highway and winding paved roads. The LR3 I test drove handled very well, but how does this air suspension do when its below zero, or after many miles?

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said I've never had any problems and go to a ski home in the mountain 2-3x's a month. The drive ends with about 40 miles on winding 2 lane moutain roads climbing from 1k to 4k ft. I only have about 10k miles but have about 30 on my RR and never any problem with air suspension in the cold. It gets really cold in the winter up there. Nice to have the off-road ability driving about 2 miles on a gravel road to my hous that is almost never paved and the driveway sometime has 4ft drifts.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Sequoia is heavier and corners almost as good as a jetta had several years back. Why would color make a difference with handling or warranty?

I think there was a problem with your Jetta.... ;)

I quite like the handling of our LR3, but we have the rare Atacama Sand color, so YMMV with comparisons; unfortunately it's not in the same arena as a car, germanic or otherwise....

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet that your rare Atacama Sand color is both the best handling and the most reliable, and probably very attractive (I can't recall seeing one around here, and I'm in Ford HQ country where they pumped tons of the LR3 onto the roads in '05 and '06). The AW allroad board used to enjoy a running joke that Alpaca Beige was the fastest color, but I think that's still silver for the LR3. All bets are off with a white LR3, no doubt.

What color was that Jetta, anyway?

I'm actually enjoying this far too much.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well does the LR3 corner twist country roads?

It handles like a 6000lb SUV ... i.e. treat it with respect and its a well secured ride that is easy to drive. Treat it badly with late heavy braking and aggressive steering and you'll be seeing the traction control and idiot driving lights come on, not to mention really crappy mileage and pending sea sickness.

It's actually a surprisingly taut ride for such a large vehicle. If you put off road rubber on 18's you'll definitely soften things up a bit.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drove up to 10k feet on switchbacks and very winding roads. Handled fine, although in the back seat passengers may experience a lil head toss, if you're in a hurry. Air Suspension was fine in the cold weather. It's definitely not a porsche etc, but handles quite well regardless.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge