Hard key - cutting a new one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of places carry it. Lucky 8 always has it on a Black Friday deal. You can also find it in places in the UK for fairly cheap.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my new fobs look identical to the ones in the video, but I am not having any luck. No beeps or anything. Just this message on my iPhone. I hope I can use this to get the keys made!

32F88381-AB7A-475D-AC66-B2BB969FBB55_1_105_c.jpeg

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just this message on my iPhone
I should have mentioned encountering this issue. As the screen message suggests, contact Patrick at: [email protected]. He provided a program flash file update (patch I guess) which now appears as a separate menu item/function on my device. I'm not sure, but this could be something unique to the 2014-16 LR4's? Referring to my earlier post, after this GAP tool update, programing my new OEM fob worked great, but the cheaper 'knock-off' fob still would not. Could be it's just one defective unit, but I grew tired of messing with it.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the additional info, @LB Bill. I did reach out to GAP...hopefully will hear back next week.

Meanwhile, I am wondering about the remotes I bought from Amazon. "OEM Electronics." But I doubt they are really OEM. The look exactly like the remotes in the video above which were successfully programmed after awhile.

On the good chance that I won't be able to use these, where is a good source for remotes that might actually work?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I did hear back from Gap, and they had me update the firmware on the OBD module, then go through a couple of steps to update the software on my iPhone.

Then I was to do the following:
In the vehicle and in this order only:
-Menu--ECU Flash--KVM Keyless
-Menu--ECU Info, send us the list and we will send you further instructions.

I did that first step, but that's when I stopped because i got a dire-sounding warning message:

"!Flashing an ECU may lead to an unusable car if it fails"

I reached back out to them again, but naturally it's the weekend. I don't know if this is a normal message for this process, but it sure gives a guy pause!

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but it sure gives a guy pause!
Yes, it did. I just looked back at my emails w GAP and those are the exact instructions/process that they provided and that I followed. I did get the same ominous message...but I pressed on figuring that since it came from them, it better not have that affect! It worked fine and I sent the read-out to them. Next instructions/step from them was to use that Menu item (ECU Flash)--KVM Keyless, to program a new fob(s).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM