Has anyone had headgasket done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwise87

Reaction score
I have a 2010 LR4 with at least one blown headgasket. I was in the process of diagnosing a miss on the even cylinders and a hard start when the truck overheated and proved my suspensions true: blown headgasket. My question is when they things overheat does it ruin the heads? I have the ability to check for distortion but should I also be worried about cracking? I should have the heads off by the end of the day, hopefully can just put headgaskets on.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't the machine the head you will likely just blow the gasket again. Hope for no cracks.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did it overheat at some point? Did you address that problem? If you fix the gasket and head, and it overheats again, its just going to do the same thing. Water pump issue?

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any machine shop that can resurface the head can probably magnaflux it to check for cracks, too. Hopefully no cracks, I'll bet these heads are expensive as all hell.

jwise87

Reaction score
I haven't owned the thing long, but I suspect the previous owner overheated it. It had been having problems and I was suspecting that I had a slight head gasket leak when I had an upper radiator hose blow and I overheated it. After that it was for sure head gaskets. I am going to do a waterpump while I am in there and also updated the timing chain tensioners to the newer style mentioned in the service manual.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned the thing long, but I suspect the previous owner overheated it. It had been having problems and I was suspecting that I had a slight head gasket leak when I had an upper radiator hose blow and I overheated it. After that it was for sure head gaskets. I am going to do a waterpump while I am in there and also updated the timing chain tensioners to the newer style mentioned in the service manual.
awesome, always cool to see owners take problems head on. let us know how it goes and what you learn.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miss firing due to no spark is a bad thing with unburnt fuel overheating, melting and possibly totally destroying the cat converters.
Add anti freeze coolant another fluid that also destroys cats and O2 sensors.
Once up and running properly if you purchased this mess (run not walk away) I would suggest giving it a smog check before your due to see if it will pass smog before your under a time limit requiring a smog check.
Damaged cats plus four O2 sensors replacements are expensive.
It's the seller's responsibility to get a current passing smog check before selling any vehicle (within 90 days in Calif.) not the buyer by law.
You agreeing with seller purchasing while knowing it would not pass smog is a different story and private agreement purchase (not legal by law) with a vastly lowered vehicle price unless it was given away almost free.
Caution, there are a lot of **** bags out there flipping cars that do not pass smog burning buyers costing you thousands of dollars on a $100 vehicle.

Carl.....~~=o&o>.....

[email protected]

Reaction score
I can see damage to the left cat. No smog tests here though so that's a relief.
You will need to bang on the cats to see if you have any rattling. If you here the rattling it is an indicating at the Cat material is loose their for going bad...and it is $1400 a side from Rover or you can pull the Cats and have someone rebuild them for $1000 total.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget about original LR cats including their complete OEM exhaust system unless you really enjoy flushing money down the drain.
Owning a LR you'll already pay twice, once at day of purchase then a second time in dollar amount maintained by LR only keeping it alive for ten years.
With your damaged cats by impacts (rattling), antifreeze or run with one or more cylinder misfires they both may be dead. Dead like spoiled not functioning breaking down HC's.
Example, aftermarket cats like Magna Flows "High Flow Cats" out flowed LR OEM cats of OEM one flat body one round body of unequal flows to each other (really sucks) vs legal equal flowing aftermarket cats.
Presently running on year 13 and 15 a matched pair (equal high flow) cats on 95 D1 5 speed 4.9 litre LR that passed Calif. **** smog two weeks ago.
Holding at 6.6% (idle) and 7.4% 2,500 rpm of maximum allowed HC with other gasses way way way below max allowed.
Hot rodding on the street with a chip 13 and 15 year old legal aftermarket cats costing $87 each says volumes (in flow also) about these aftermarket cats not failing a couple years later vs other "El Cheapo" cats on the market.
OB2 cats now must be installed on OB1 Calif. vehicles costing many times more than OB1 cats.
Secret, install stored away OB1 cats (pre dated before OB2 law) cats with stamped heat shield dates not requiring OB2 installs only.
I have a out of state friend buy OB1 cats out of Calif. (49 state now not sold in Calif. cats), have said friend ship them to me replacing one failed OEM cat with now two equal flowing cats on a friend's 94 D1 5 speed.
A rattling cat can also cork up plugging the cat flow causing power loss and overheating problems.
Had that failure happen 800 miles from home years ago.
Welded 1/8" rod 36" long lengths together with a hook at end jammed up Borla's cat back exhaust system breaking apart the ceramic materials then blasting them out with a hard WOT run for a empty cat body and vacation trip.
No relation with Magna Flow just what has worked for years without future cat failures.
End of novel.

Carl.....~~=o&o>>.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72