Has anyone reflashed their 3.0SC V6 aka Tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fuji4 I totally agree and understand that. I previously owned a Montero Sport that had similar issues when compared with the far more popular 4Runner; little/no aftermarket support. That being said, I'm still satisfied with the improvement, the $/HP ratio and with @VelocityAP as a whole.
aside from my personal enjoyment, i always question whether this will be supported in the resale market or if the second owner of this truck will question it's tuning as a cause for reliability concern. TBD i suppose. I am trying to get to 150k on this before moving on. at 87k now. So not sure i can make it before getting tempted.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on if the next owner is an enthusiast of just a buyer. I would think the more miles you have on it post-tune would be proof that reliability is a non-concern.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested, Velocity AP has the tune and pulley on sale right now for $1454.25 vs the regular $1939.00 price. To me that's a much more accurate price, and for the difference in cost you can get their ZF8HP70 transmission tuner.

PCJDB

Reaction score
Bumping this back up a year on... I just picked up a 16 LR4 and while it's fairly responsive I would love it to have a reasonable amount of power for towing and mtns. Found this thread and it all looks pretty simple for big gains. My curiosity about this setup is more inline with how reliable it is when you actually work the engine. I'm trying to build an Overland type vehicle with the LR4 which will add weight to the car. I also plan on towing an offroad trailer for camping to these places. In the winter, maybe some snowmobiles at some point. No more than 5,000 lbs will be towed. Do you think the 3.0 engine with the Velocity AP tune and pulley will be reliable long-term? Or do you think this is mostly for daily driving fun? Thanks!

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this back up a year on... I just picked up a 16 LR4 and while it's fairly responsive I would love it to have a reasonable amount of power for towing and mtns. Found this thread and it all looks pretty simple for big gains. My curiosity about this setup is more inline with how reliable it is when you actually work the engine. I'm trying to build an Overland type vehicle with the LR4 which will add weight to the car. I also plan on towing an offroad trailer for camping to these places. In the winter, maybe some snowmobiles at some point. No more than 5,000 lbs will be towed. Do you think the 3.0 engine with the Velocity AP tune and pulley will be reliable long-term? Or do you think this is mostly for daily driving fun? Thanks!
I think it will be totally fine. Big caveat-if you do the required proactive maintenance across the board that this truck needs. The eaton can handle the rpm increase. I talked to Eaton’s official rebuilder (superchargersonline) about all this. They say that it’s a reliable unit. But...the bearings are called for at 120k or so. The coupler usually goes earlier (mine did). That’s a cheap fix. And you should change the oil at 120k or so. The main things with this truck are the coolant issues crossovers water pump etc. If you fix those before they go bad you will be good for a long time.
I have driven it a lot since doing the upgrade. I don’t know maybe 15k miles. I tow an AT overland rig. I load the truck and drive in the sierras. I off-road it monthly. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The pulley seems a bit extra (of course, you're probably not spending much time over 6000 rpm), but remember that the 3.0SC has been used in 380 HP trim by Jaguar for years...

Edit: Ignore my concern about overspeed, per Fuji, above...

Last edited:

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the tune only, you won't see any benefits under 5500rpm. The dyno charts and the tech from Velocity confirmed that. The pulley and tune increases hp/torque along the whole rpm range. My suggestion would be pulley/tune combo, or spend that money elsewhere.

I've had my pulley/tune on for a couple thousand miles now and I love it.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of you that did this tune have the so called idea shakes before hand that went away with this tune? I know people have mentioned they wished the V6SC would have a higher ideal rpm to fix the ideal shakes problem.

PCJDB

Reaction score
Yeah I was looking at the pulley/tune together to make sure the increase happened in the actual range for towing. Makes it sound pretty good based on your offroading/overlanding trips with no issues. I'm pulling through the rockies at altitude so anything I can get to keep it in the power range would be great. Thanks for the info!

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of you that did this tune have the so called idea shakes before hand that went away with this tune? I know people have mentioned they wished the V6SC would have a higher ideal rpm to fix the ideal shakes problem.

you mean the shaking at idle? My still has it; I haven't noticed any increase in idle rpm. Mine doesn't seem to do it all the time though, and I doubt the wife even notices.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA