HD Pack - after sale installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have a single integrated transmission.

I think LR sells into two worlds. A significant number are sold to urban/suburban folk who will never go off-road. I've looked at used LRs in NYC and, at least on asking price, the non-HDs were lower but not disproportionately so.

We're getting snow today so I'll go and play

Frank

Jerbo

Reaction score
Realistically I think that someday the transmission and xfer case will be integrated into one sub-system. We are already headed to 9-speed gearboxes to eek out a few mpg's and somewhat address the loss of a 2-speed xfer case.

Are we there yet? No. Land Rovers move to eliminate the xfer case was to reduce cost, reduce weight and increase margins. Simple economics. For the aftermarket I would think a single speed xfer case LR4 would be deeply discounted as it moves into its second life for those looking for utility.

Is the transfer case specific to the tranny or could we put the HD transfer case on a non-HD vehicle?

Low range is more important to me than rear locker

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the transfer case specific to the tranny or could we put the HD transfer case on a non-HD vehicle?

I will try to find and post the link of the forum I read on landroverforums.com (I believe that was the forum) where someone had it done at a local LR mod shop in Australia on their '14 LR4 for around 8k USD. I think they sourced all the parts from a totalled LR4 that still had all the trans parts intact....BUT....think about this. You have a '16, right? Find an LR dealer that is willing to source you a '16 that is like your current vehicle with comparable miles and I would bet that you'd lose around 5k-8k in the trading and purchasing of the vehicle. Then you don't have to worry about voiding your warranty or other things that may go wrong.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Realistically I think that someday the transmission and xfer case will be integrated into one sub-system. We are already headed to 9-speed gearboxes to eek out a few mpg's and somewhat address the loss of a 2-speed xfer case.

Are we there yet? No. Land Rovers move to eliminate the xfer case was to reduce cost, reduce weight and increase margins. Simple economics. For the aftermarket I would think a single speed xfer case LR4 would be deeply discounted as it moves into its second life for those looking for utility.

The technology is there. I believe that vehicles such as the Nissan GT-R have a fully integrated system, not sure of any trucks/SUVs that currently have that technology. It'll be interesting to see what the new Defender has in the form of 4wd technology.

Jerbo

Reaction score
I will try to find and post the link of the forum I read on landroverforums.com (I believe that was the forum) where someone had it done at a local LR mod shop in Australia on their '14 LR4 for around 8k USD. I think they sourced all the parts from a totalled LR4 that still had all the trans parts intact....BUT....think about this. You have a '16, right? Find an LR dealer that is willing to source you a '16 that is like your current vehicle with comparable miles and I would bet that you'd lose around 5k-8k in the trading and purchasing of the vehicle. Then you don't have to worry about voiding your warranty or other things that may go wrong.

Check Mark for answering the question. However for 5-8k, I would probably pick up an LR3 with HD and make it a dedicated off road rig, then keep my current LR4 for lighter trips.

Also, I would look into a winch, slow to recover, but I could recover none the less.

Cheers for the answer.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't know the answer to that question. The transmission rear casing may be different to allow the xfer case to bolt up to it. Or there may just be an adapter plate. I would think there are many pieces needed besides the xfer case to make it work. As already noted, find a donor vehicle? A large job in any case.

And the pics: LR3 Cutaway

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The technology is there. I believe that vehicles such as the Nissan GT-R have a fully integrated system, not sure of any trucks/SUVs that currently have that technology. It'll be interesting to see what the new Defender has in the form of 4wd technology.

My guess is that the new Defender will be a re-bodied Discovery 5. The same way that a classic Discovery 1 was essentially a re-bodied Defender.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transfer case is DD295, manufactured by Magna Steyr and used in the LR3, LR4 and RRS.

Jerbo

Reaction score
My guess is that the new Defender will be a re-bodied Discovery 5. The same way that a classic Discovery 1 was essentially a re-bodied Defender.

With out having driven or sat in one at this point. I would actually be very much ok with this. The only objection I would raise would be given the sophistication of the Disco 5, the Defender is going to lose its ability to be repaired quickly in the field.

However .... I don't think JLR is putting any emphasis on this point.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but I still wonder if the manufacturing agreement that Land Rover signed with Magna Steyr a couple of years ago will come to full fruition when the new Defender is introdced. That would be cool, as Magna Steyr has built some solid vehicles in the past, and I can't think of a better place to assemble the new Defender. Right now it looks like they will build some version of the new Discovery for Land Rover (perhaps a Special Vehicle off-road version of it?), according to recent news: http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-cars-for-mercedes-bmw-toyota-and-jaguar-land

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV