Headlamp LED Rings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

holygrail

Reaction score
HID Fogs?

i've been taking my housing in and out now, the process is easy like you've said. the painful part is to change the side marker where i installed a led wedge as you have to remove 4 screws on each housing. i took a good look to explore the possibilities of installing your own led ring but it can not be done without opening the actual housing, which means you'd have to pry it open and then later on reseal it and risk cracking the housing all the while. i've asked the dealer if they sell the bixenon housings but they said they do not "rewire" cars. i assume they mean installing the auto aim switch along the housing.

at this point i'll just wait for the bixenon housings to pop up on ebay and settle for the hids i've installed for low beams and fogs for now.

Charlie,

How's it going? Did you mean HID lowbeams and HID fog lights? I've seen custom HID fogs on www.carid.com, and you just use the same housing. It comes with 2 (H11) Xenon HID replacement bulbs, 2 digital Balasts, and 2 relay harness. They say that installing the relays are optional, so I'm wondering if you have. It says that the relays provide better effectiveness (whatever that means), but I'm not fond with plugging wires to the battery. I believe the balasts should suffice.

What brand are your HID fogs? Thanks.

P.S. BTW, carid.com also sells LED DRLs...and they're bright LEDs like the ones in AUDIs and Porsche. The LEDs can be wired straight to the headlights, fogs, or parking lights so you don't have to install a switch.

V/r,
Chris

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Charlie,

How's it going? Did you mean HID lowbeams and HID fog lights? I've seen custom HID fogs on www.carid.com, and you just use the same housing. It comes with 2 (H11) Xenon HID replacement bulbs, 2 digital Balasts, and 2 relay harness. They say that installing the relays are optional, so I'm wondering if you have. It says that the relays provide better effectiveness (whatever that means), but I'm not fond with plugging wires to the battery. I believe the balasts should suffice.

What brand are your HID fogs? Thanks.

P.S. BTW, carid.com also sells LED DRLs...and they're bright LEDs like the ones in AUDIs and Porsche. The LEDs can be wired straight to the headlights, fogs, or parking lights so you don't have to install a switch.

V/r,
Chris

hey chris, i got the 35w kits from ddm. i've used them before and they are very reliable.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

no relay, it's plug and play. the only modification needed is to make a hole in the housing cover for the low beam and fogs so you can run the wires. you can then use the equipped seal to block the hole and voila. you'll also need to find a place to mount the ballast.

these are the leds i got for the drls.

Amazon.com: T10 LED 194 Wedge bulbs Dash Dome Light 12v DC 15 SMD LED 1.44 Watt 105 Lumen White, 1415WH: Automotive

good price and very bright. i used to shop at superbrightleds.com for my other cars. amazon started carrying these led wedges and i love no tax/free shipping.

here are some pix. sorry for the bad quality pix. i used my point and click instead of the better cam but these were taken in a hurry.

the color might be a bit distorted as well. low beams are white (6000k) and fogs are yellow (3000k).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39553560@N00/

the pix with the hids are without the led i posted above. rather, they were just single led wedges which were a lot dimmer than the current wedge.

i've seen those led strips you are talking about from car id. i dont really fancy them as they got really old (everyone started adding them to just about any car). i like the factory leds on our car because it's got a unique shape. sigh... she will be mine. o yes, she will be mine. hahaha.

i've added white leds to the rear license plate as well. as for interior i think i'll stick with the factory amber stuff. i have bright white leds in my other car that makes the interior... cold. but to each his own.

i hope this helps!

char

Last edited by a moderator:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go, examples of what the LED string lights look like inside the lamp. So who's going to see if they have them............

Without:

With:

Well, I checked mine and although I don't have the "black blanks" I have jewel blanks, no wires, nothing. So anyone who has a 2010 HSE US version will NEVER get them to work, because there's no hardware inside the light... the LEDs that are in there are dummies, as noted, they are blank jewels. Oh, well... end of story unless one wants to replace the entire lights/house for about 700 bucks a pop and get them programmed.

Reaction score
ohhh,i think i will check it .
accent light? what is the difference between accent light and no-accent light??

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I would characterize accent lights as lights that are not required by law and which don't put out enough light to drive by.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
accent lights are useless lights in other words. They are just for esthetic purposes. I like the way they look on the LR4 however. I think there should be a way to program them to be used as DRLs. It's a shame they were not included in the 2010 HSE models.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
accent lights are useless lights in other words. They are just for esthetic purposes. I like the way they look on the LR4 however. I think there should be a way to program them to be used as DRLs. It's a shame they were not included in the 2010 HSE models.
Hey George,

I agree 100% I love my LED accent lights, they really look great. I think it's so silly they were not included in the 2010 HSE models. If you end up trading up for a 2012, you will have them! :)

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9