headlight question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rashers

Reaction score
i just noticed on my 2016 LR4 that may be expected behavior, im not sure. with the headlights on for daylight running i noticed that when the turn signal is selected the headlight for that side is switched off. its the same functionality for both left & right turn signals the left or right headlight switchs off. is this expected?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure that it may be required in the U.S. for DRL to go off when a turn signal is on. It’s to enhance the visibility of the turn signal for that interval. That said, I’m not sure if my 2013 acts that way when DRL are activated via GAP tool. Never checked but will.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope. DRL (headlights on the 2010-13) are on full blaze regardless of what the signal light is doing.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... when DRL are activated via GAP tool. Never checked but will.

Interesting. I did not know I could do that with GAP. What exactly turns on with DRL? I'm assuming not the HID's, but rather some low-power version of the halogen high beams?

I currently I manually turn on the parking lights when I drive so the LED strips are on.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope. DRL (headlights on the 2010-13) are on full blaze regardless of what the signal light is doing.

When you say DRL, do you mean the LED ring, or the actual headlight operating as DRL ?

You're in Canada, I believe you use actual headlight bulb as DRL...

I think to follow-up on the light behavior, for 2010-2013, the little LED rings were not bright enough to function as "DRLs" in any market, so turning on DRL turns on the headlight bulb.

For 2014+, with the "Signature Light Strip," I believe there's three versions that can be turned on in the CCF--

for US, the strip is the DRL and it deactivates when a turn signal is applied.

Canadian DRL, which uses the headlight bulb.

Scandinavian, while uses headlight bulb + turns on the taillights.

Last edited:

Matt1t

Reaction score
Interesting thread as I just noticed this yesterday as I say another LR4 turning and noticed while the turn signal was on, the running led light strip turned off..... I never noticed that before... I'm in the US and guessed it was expected as hickersb mentioned.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread as I just noticed this yesterday as I say another LR4 turning and noticed while the turn signal was on, the running led light strip turned off..... I never noticed that before... I'm in the US and guessed it was expected as hickersb mentioned.

Are you speaking of a V6 or a V8 LR4?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72