Hello, to all. An need some advice on engine refresh.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepboy98

Reaction score
Hey, to all frist off.

Just wanted to see what kind of input you can give me. I just bought a 03 D2 with 98k on the motor. It was known when i bought it that it had a lifter tick. I am doing a refreshing job on the motor. I am installing new lifters, pushrods, rockers, and a rocker shaft. The lower end of the motor looks to be in great shape. The top was a different story. As you see by my list. The cam was in good shape as well as the old lifter bottoms. The motor has had the head gaskets done in the last 20k. I ran it for about 200 miles with seafoam in the oil. The engine had lots of sludge by the oil. But what oil that was getting to the motor was water thin. The rover is almost back together with all new parts, and ready for break in. The only thing i found on inspection as i was taking it apart was the oil sensor was unhooked. Not sure if it was the previous shops work as every thing looked like it was half butt done. Connector was as dirty as the motor so it had been off a while. I did not tuch the oil pump or any internals as they seemed to be good befor teardown. I have learned dont mess with it unless you need to.

Some about me. I do have a degree in automotive, but lack some experience. I have most experience with the toyota motors. So that being said. What should i know befor start up? Any advice is welcomed.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to stop throwing parts at it till you actually find the cause of the tick.If it is a lifter, you must replace the cam also due to a soft alloy used by Rover. You may have a slipped liner instead of a valve train tick.
I would be glad to walk you thru what to check, where to buy your parts and any guidance. PM me your number and I'll call you today.

jeepboy98

Reaction score
Hey, Mike

From what i seen on here you know the most. I welcome your input.

Here what i found. And this might help you narrow the instructions on what to look for and what to fix.

Ok the actual noise was a tick that moved from side to side. At cold idel they where quite. At warm idel it was present. At approximately 1,200rpm the tick stoped. I do worry about a slipped liner, but tgought if the liner slipped it stay thrpugh the rpm band.

I ran it by a friend shop and he called it a lifter sound. He does not know allot abot rovers, and said i might want to talk to someone who knew more. I did a take it that far down and all the parts had visable wear. The rockers where worn and the pushrods had wear. The rh rocker shaft had some bad grooves where the rockers dug in to shaft. The pan/sump was removed and cleand. There was allot of sludge under the windage tray. The vally where the lifters are was clean the heads where clean. The oil was as black as crude oil. I did a inspection on the piston rods there was no play. In any direction. And the cam still had high peaks with tapper on the lobes. That why i did not replace cam.

Maybe this info can help you guide me. I do have the rave manual as well athe d2 service manual.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, sounds like you are still going in the wrong direction.
If you don't want help, that fine but you are way off track.

Last edited:

jeepboy98

Reaction score
No, if you can guide me by almeans. I could be missing something so obvious. I only put that stuff in there to let you know what i have and have not done. I hate to waste people's time. And dont want to waste your time writing things i have already done. An something i might have put in them might let you know some where that i need to look. The last thing i want to do is grenade an engine that i just put money into to fix. This is actually my first pushrod v8; every toyota i have worked on was SOC or DOC none interference. They are a little more for giving if soemthing is out of sink.

Is there a way to tell if the liner has slipped other then a full block teardown?

An should i be worried about the oil pump? It does not fall into the vin range.

An so far Atlantic British has be super with there shipping and parts.

jeepboy98

Reaction score
This might be a better way to say it, where should i start? What should i bee looking for? This is my daily driver and i want it right.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lot to do and to keep going back and forth with you isn't in my time frame.
If you want help PM me you number or quit wasting both of our times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM