Hey, what is that thing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

toddjb123

Random questions someone will probably know;

What is that speaker looking thing with the raised "dot" in the forward center of our dash?

Where are the GPS antennas for the NAV?

Where is the rain sensor for the windshield wipers?

What are those little dongles on the ends of the wiper blades? Do we have to buy special wiper blades or do we remove these ends and put them on the new blades?

If it only happens every 7 times and you can't see the headlights, how do you know the headlight washer is working??? (okay, now I'm just fishing! :)

Just random questions I keep forgetting to ask someone. :) I'm sure some are in the manual, but I read the darn thing and didn't come across these answers. Thanks!

R

roverdawg

toddjb123 said:
Random questions someone will probably know;

Where are the GPS antennas for the NAV?

Where is the rain sensor for the windshield wipers?

Don't know about the other questions but I'll take these two.
The NAV antenna is located on the roof just in front of the rear door (centered).

The rain sensor actually is infrared and covers the front windshield. Not sure where the actual infrared emits from.

As for the headlight washers. can't miss 'em 'cuz they usually send a spray up on to the hood as well!

roverdawg

N

Nomad

The rain sensor is actually behind the rear view mirror. You can see the "eye" of it from the outside of the car. It basicly works by counting the number of drops or distortions in front of its little eye or window. When a set limit is reached it wipes.

T

toddjb123

Okay, what's this? (again :)

What is that speaker looking thing with the raised "dot" in the forward center of our dash?

Pretty cool that they hid the NAV antennas. I can't see it so it must be under a panel.

F

Freeflytim

The speaker, is a speaker, the 'Dot' is an ambient light sensor for our displays and drunk, err, auto headlights! If you're noticed the LCD display or Nav unit brightness bouncing around near sunset, the 'dot' is where the LR3 senses daylight or nighttime.

The wipers do look different than what Ive seen but the arms are standard. You can replace them at Walmart. Or to starve off replacement, search '303 wiper treatment' on Google and then buy off Ebay. When they do wear out, get PIAA wipers.. Worth it$$

Last edited by a moderator:
T

texas911

The blades are now the standard European style blade. My Mercedes has them too. I think its just a ploy to add more profit.

T

toddjb123

Thanks.

Appreciate the 303 tip. I have a spray bottle of the stuff, so I'll take the tip and treat the blades!

F

Freeflytim

WAIT! Im talking about 303's wiper treatment- It comes in little KFC finger cleaner sized packets! I don't know what the other stuff might do!

T

toddjb123

I hear ya. I'm guessing the wiper treatments are just remarketing and repackaging. I'd gamble (and I will) that it is the exact same stuff but they just put it on little handy-wipes for ease of use (and greater profit). The standard 303 is also good for anything rubber, plastic, vinyl, etc...so, can't see why the wiper towels would be any different.

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635