Hi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhyap

Reaction score
Just wanna say Hi to everyone in this forum. I got my '02 Disco II the other weekend so I'm new here. I would also like to take this opportunity to bounce off a few questions while I'm at it. The same day I got my Disco, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I attributed this to the gas cap which I thought felt kinda funny when I gassed up. Anyway, I retightened it but the light stayed on for a week before it went away. Any thoughts about this? Another problem that came out after a few days is that the driver's door lock started sticking. I said sticking because I can see that it tries to pop out or in but is sometimes successful and sometimes not that I have to use my key to open and lock my door. Does anybody know if there is a simple fix to this without me having to take the truck to the dealership? One last thing, when the vehicle is in motion, there is some kind of a low pitch whining sound much like the sound of those old army jeeps with cross-wise threads. Is this normal? I have been monitoring this forum for a week now and I must say this is great and I am glad to be part of it. Thank you very much!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

First and foremost, the SES light may have been the gas cap. It will take several engine cycles to clear the SES light without an OBDII scanner (best investment a vehicle owner can ever make - make that your next I just need a tool purchase less than $100)

Second - Door lock, sounds like the spring is starting to go bad. When mine does this and it has for the last 4 plus years that I have owned my Disco, I use the key to lock and unlock for about a week and the issue goes away for another 3 or 4 months.

Whining issue, welcome to the world of 1950 - 1960 technology. Remember the basics of your Rover are not new, but they have been modernized. The engine comes for a 1960's era Buick (215ci Buick engine), the transmission and transfer case are not new by a long shot, but they have been updated.

So yes it will whine and groan a little, but I know mine has never left me anywhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99