High revving new Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hanover

Reaction score
Hello. I am the owner of a new 2022 Defender, a nice upgrade from my prior 1963 series IIA! It disturbs me that the engine revs at 1500 RPM's for about 20 seconds when I start the vehicle. Is this normal (some type of "automatic" choke)? Seems potentially harmful to me, as I never left my manual choke on for anywhere near that long. Thank you.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Not sure on the 20 seconds, did you ask the dealership?

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not worry about it too much, though you are never wrong to ask the service department. High-idle upon ignition is a way to cycle oil through the heads and not uncommon in modern engines though usually 1,000-1,200 rpm is more common.

You might also notice some electric cooling fan/pump noise after engine cut-off; pretty sure this is essentially an OEM turbo-timer cool-down preventing turbo coking.

LR4 in CO

Reaction score
The higher revving you're mentioning is normal. It's actually part of the emissions control system. Catalytic converters don't work very well until they are warmed up and most of the pollutants a newer car emits all happen while the converter is cold. The fast idle warms up the catalytic converter faster.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72