Highest mileage LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel sort of the same, only I've had my LR4 for over 8 years now.

Depending on what happens over the next year or so, I could see selling within 6 months or keeping it for another couple of years. Gun to my head right now, I'd probably either pick a new Defender or a used G-Wagon for my next vehicle. The Land Cruiser is a wild card. Would love to test drive one, but have a feeling there will be steep dealer premiums for the first year or two. That's a game I do not play.

Defender with the 4.4L bmw motor they're stuffing in the new range rover might be passably reliable.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Defender with the 4.4L bmw motor they're stuffing in the new range rover might be passably reliable.

Too beaucoup for me. I'd also need to see a BMW v8 in the field for about 10 years before I'd ever consider one.

I'd either go with the 4cyl or the 6cyl. Reliability on both of those seems pretty decent so far. For really long term, the 4 cyl may be more reliable as it doesn't have all the whizbang electric hybridish stuff.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too beaucoup for me. I'd also need to see a BMW v8 in the field for about 10 years before I'd ever consider one.

I'd either go with the 4cyl or the 6cyl. Reliability on both of those seems pretty decent so far. For really long term, the 4 cyl may be more reliable as it doesn't have all the whizbang electric hybridish stuff.

Well, the N63 has been around since 2008, and they actually sell enough to revise the design. Early versions were utter garbage, but I think they're now on the third revision, which comes with upgraded timing chains, updated cooling system, revised variable valve timing system. (IE all the stuff that breaks on the AJ v8) Not saying its going to be perfect, but there's an advantage to selling 2 millions cars a year instead of 300K.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Say all you want, I had two N63's: a '13 and a "revised" '16. Burned oil like crazy, both of them. I knew the BMW guys very well and off the record they said they would never own one out of warranty or even with one past 50k because your car will be in the shop or you will be adding oil every gas fill up and BMW will tell you it's "normal."
You can't put the turbos in the hottest place and expect the engine to last.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the N63 has been around since 2008, and they actually sell LEASE enough to revise the design. Early versions were utter garbage, but I think they're now on the third revision, which comes with upgraded timing chains, updated cooling system, revised variable valve timing system. (IE all the stuff that breaks on the AJ v8) Not saying its going to be perfect, but there's an advantage to selling 2 millions cars a year instead of 300K.

Fixed your reply for you..

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least up here in Canuckistan most BMWs are leased. It's the poor 2nd, 3rd owner that gets stuck with the issues.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least up here in Canuckistan most BMWs are leased. It's the poor 2nd, 3rd owner that gets stuck with the issues.

Oh, you're not wrong. I imaging the same holds true here for Audi. BMW, Merc, Land Rover, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112