Hitch Receiver Removal.... (different question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten my hitch receiver out before, I know it is a *****, and I understand that I may have to persuade it to get it to budge. (my dealer used a hammer)

I tried to take out the receiver last week and found that I can not rotate the green handle. I unlock it with the key, pull it out, but when I go to rotate it down it'll turn about a 1/4 inch and then sticks.

How much force can I put on that green handle to rotate it?
I'd like to REALLY crank on it just in case the pin is stuck fast and won't disengage, but I am always hesitant to apply force to plastic.

Open to any other tips on removing the receiver when the handle will not turn.

If I get a flat tire and have to use the full size spare....it's going to be a nightmare. Thanks for any help!

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd try shooting some PB blaster into 2 places....key hole and then on the bottom of it there's a little pin hole.

If that doesn't work, I'd think about breaking it off. That green thingy is about $15 and is easy to replace...I've done it.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting to sound like what happened to mine...everything seemed to be fine, but the handle just would. not. turn. I cranked on it pretty hard, and the plastic got a little "chewed out" by the actual metal rod inside, to the point that there was then some slop in the handle. Still didn't budge. So, not sure that its exactly helpful, but based on my experience, you can exert some decent force on the handle without it actually breaking.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not alone. I don't have any answers, but sometimes it turns fine, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I can't turn the key, sometimes I can. I actually broke one of the keys in the lock once, fortunately got the broken piece out. It can be annoying as hell for sure.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting to sound like what happened to mine...everything seemed to be fine, but the handle just would. not. turn. I cranked on it pretty hard, and the plastic got a little "chewed out" by the actual metal rod inside, to the point that there was then some slop in the handle. Still didn't budge. So, not sure that its exactly helpful, but based on my experience, you can exert some decent force on the handle without it actually breaking.
What'd you end up doing?

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What'd you end up doing?

The entire internal locking mechanism in mine ended up being broken. I had 2 different dealerships look at it, and neither could fix it. Mine also happened to be off of the car when it broke, fortunately. LR North America stepped up and gave me a new one, free of charge. Full saga here.

I'm also working on custom fabbing a new hitch that mounts to the recovery eye in the bumper. Going to try to put some time into it this weekend, but its like 90+ degrees with 80% humidity in Pittsburgh right now, and the fab shop obviously doesn't have AC. I might just stay in my air conditioned garage and keep working on my drawer/fridge slide system instead...

Paul

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
... but its like 90+ degrees with 80% humidity in Pittsburgh right now, and the fab shop obviously doesn't have AC. I might just stay in my air conditioned garage and keep working on my drawer/fridge slide system instead...
l
You mean beer delivery system, right?

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The entire internal locking mechanism in mine ended up being broken. I had 2 different dealerships look at it, and neither could fix it. Mine also happened to be off of the car when it broke, fortunately. LR North America stepped up and gave me a new one, free of charge. Full saga here.

I'm also working on custom fabbing a new hitch that mounts to the recovery eye in the bumper. Going to try to put some time into it this weekend, but its like 90+ degrees with 80% humidity in Pittsburgh right now, and the fab shop obviously doesn't have AC. I might just stay in my air conditioned garage and keep working on my drawer/fridge slide system instead...

Paul

Before you go through all the work of fabricating a new hitch, go checkout one from Australia that mounts up high. I can't think of the name or find it (in Paris with really crappy internet service), but maybe something like "Mitchell", ah either way, there is a better design out there that the guys in Australia run.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean beer delivery system, right?

That will be one of its main purposes...to expedite beer retrieval from the bottom of the refrigerator. I'm too short to reach in there while it's inside the truck!

@Mack - Thanks for the suggestion. I've checked out the Mitch Hitch, and it's insanely expensive. They want $660 for the hitch, plus shipping from AUS. tlt (also on this forum) looked into getting one at one point, and they didn't seem too helpful when it came to sending to the U.S., either. Seems like I'm going to be able to fab something for a fraction of the cost, and it will give me something fun to do :eek:

Paul

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV