Hood Lettering De-Badge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good.. but you MUST elaborate on the plasti-dipped process :cool:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is PlastiDip?

David, I can't tell you how worried I am now seeing all these new highly-loaded Ford Explorers (sports) and how close they're going to look to the new '14 RRS. To those who don't have a trained eye (like most people, including my lovely Wife) would honestly confuse the two. That sucks!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PlastiDip is this:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

You can get it at Home Depot or anywhere and it's cheap - a few colors, but matte black is the most common. I made a post a while back when I PlastiDipped my wheels to see how they would look powder coated black. Basically it is liquid plastic/rubber that you spray, it dries very quickly, and you can peel it away with no problem. You don't even need to tape anything off when you do it as you peel off the excess. It comes off very easily, does not harm surfaces, and withstands the weather.

Here are a few YouTube videos:

Blacked Out Emblems with Plasti Dip - YouTube

PlastiDip Car Emblems, Badges and Front Grille - Step by Step - DipYourCar.com - YouTube

You don't even need to take off your wheels - this is what I did:

PlastiDip on Rims - New Brake Masking System! - YouTube

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is PlastiDip?

David, I can't tell you how worried I am now seeing all these new highly-loaded Ford Explorers (sports) and how close they're going to look to the new '14 RRS. To those who don't have a trained eye (like most people, including my lovely Wife) would honestly confuse the two. That sucks!
It's pretty amazing how much the high-end Ford Explorer looks like the 2014 RRS and even the 2013 RR.

I can usually tell most cars, right away, even from far away. You know how car guys are, well I found myself stumped (for a second) a few times - especially from far away in the evening (because of the rear LEDs, shape of the SUV, etc.).

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PlastiDip is this:

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

You can get it at Home Depot or anywhere and it's cheap - a few colors, but matte black is the most common. I made a post a while back when I PlastiDipped my wheels to see how they would look powder coated black. Basically it is liquid plastic/rubber that you spray, it dries very quickly, and you can peel it away with no problem. You don't even need to tape anything off when you do it as you peel off the excess. It comes off very easily, does not harm surfaces, and withstands the weather.

Here are a few YouTube videos:

Blacked Out Emblems with Plasti Dip - YouTube

PlastiDip Car Emblems, Badges and Front Grille - Step by Step - DipYourCar.com - YouTube

You don't even need to take off your wheels - this is what I did:

PlastiDip on Rims - New Brake Masking System! - YouTube

Really cool stuff. I would have loved that stuff when I was younger... I'd spray everything!

That guy with the 350z... classic. Some of the stuff he was saying really cracked me up.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really cool stuff. I would have loved that stuff when I was younger... I'd spray everything!

That guy with the 350z... classic. Some of the stuff he was saying really cracked me up.
Yeah, he is funny to watch. Haha. It's a nice way to make your trim matte black and then when you get sick of it, peel it off! :)

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to invent something like that. Who ever owns the patent is obviously going to make some serious revenue.

I do like that you can just peel it off. Really great product.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David beat me to it! Those are some of the same videos I would've linked you guys to. PlastiDip is a great product. It's very easy to use, and it's very easy to peel off. For wheels though, I would go the powdercoating route like David did. Plastidip can withstand a surprising amount of abuse, but there's nothing like like good old powdercoating in my opinion. I plastidipped my lettering, mirrors, grille, and side vents, and I'm very happy with the results. You really can't go wrong.... and if you do, just peel it off!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow and even stays on during the car wash LOL
Yes, it does (pretty well). Like bushway9172 says, it works great, but the wheel application doesn't hold up to off roading very well (the dirt/dust) sticks to the rubber coating and eventually does peel off (after power washing a few times). It would be best on the trim.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo