Hood open warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
I had an accident this last week in my 2011 LR4 and now have a new warning showing up. I was rear ended while stopped and have only cosmetic damage due to the over-construction of the frame, but have a new gremlin. Every now and then the hood open warning comes on. The first couple times I cleared it thinking it was just normal British engineering at it's finest, but realized it started right after the accident. I've tried opening and closing the hood, but it stays on. It does shut off after a few minutes, or after I restart the car. Or sometimes I go for a ride and it doesn't come on at all. No rhyme or reason. The only other electrical issue I've had is the audio controls on the steering wheel issue, but that fixes itself if I mess with the phone buttons for a few seconds. Any thoughts?

Mainlander

Reaction score
I noticed the other day with hood open there are two black plastic pins near each headlight. I noticed that the pins seem to be stuck in down position. How high should these pins be with hook open? Is it okay to lubricate them, if so with what type of lube?

Husker, I would check your pins to make sure they're not stuck like mine.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try cleaning the area or do as I did and disconnect the switch and jump it to complete the circuit.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
I noticed the other day with hood open there are two black plastic pins near each headlight. I noticed that the pins seem to be stuck in down position.
I looked for the pins, but didn't see anything like you described under the hood near the headlights.

You could try cleaning the area or do as I did and disconnect the switch and jump it to complete the circuit.
Everything is cleaned up and it is still doing it.

I think since it started after the accident I can get it covered and fixed when it goes into the shop for repair. I mentioned it the adjuster and he didn't seem concerned. I did find that if it is occuring when I shut the car off I can't lock the doors, which is a concern. I will need to make sure I don't leave anything of value sitting in there. Thanks for the help!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was setting my alarm off so I just bypassed it. It is quite obvious when driving if the hood is not latched (first latch is not the second). Most cars dont have a sensor so I just bypassed it. That was about 4 years ago and I have never left my hood open yet lol.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably just a coincidence that your hood sensor failed at the same time as the accident. It's a very common issue going back to the LR3. You would expect LR to have improved the part by now...but no.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
I was taking pics on my phone using the insurance companies estimate app and noticed a scuff on the front bumper by the fog light. So evidently I was pushed into the truck ahead of me. He left the scene of the accident right away and so I never realized I hit him until today. I was in the middle of an 8 car accident on the interstate around 5pm on a Friday night right outside of Indianapolis, so you can imagine the chaos and the traffic at that time, plus the rain and cold weather.

Regardless, insurance will cover it this time. I did find out how to change it and that it's a $20 part from the dealer, so in the future I will be prepared.....

Gabe

Reaction score
I had an accident this last week in my 2011 LR4 and now have a new warning showing up. I was rear ended while stopped and have only cosmetic damage due to the over-construction of the frame, but have a new gremlin. Every now and then the hood open warning comes on. The first couple times I cleared it thinking it was just normal British engineering at it's finest, but realized it started right after the accident. I've tried opening and closing the hood, but it stays on. It does shut off after a few minutes, or after I restart the car. Or sometimes I go for a ride and it doesn't come on at all. No rhyme or reason. The only other electrical issue I've had is the audio controls on the steering wheel issue, but that fixes itself if I mess with the phone buttons for a few seconds. Any thoughts?
I have the same issue with my LR3, My solution was to place a cigarette butt on the base of the hood latch and it works. I will try a to load a picture if you need it. GOOD LUCK

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Red Landie

Reaction score
I had the same problem occur on my 2010 LR4 back in August of 2016. Either a warning would appear on the display indicating that the hood was ajar, or the alarm would sound for no apparent reason. The dealer replaced the hood switch at a very reasonable price. But after returning home, the alarm problem continued. The dealer then checked for an error code. It showed the two rear door sensors as defective. While the hood sensor was relatively inexpensive to replace, but the door sensors were another matter. Quite labor intensive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM