Hot pipes inside rear driver-side storage compartment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to store a tow strap in the rear lower storage compartment on the driver side. There is ample space but there are 2 aluminum pipes that get really hot. I presume they are part of the rear AC unit. Do you think it is safe to store items near these hot pipes? They are so hot that I could not touch them, so I guess they could melt or damage a tow strap. Or worse case could they get hot enough ignite a fabric tow strap?

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One spot that seems ideal to me is the foot space under the 3rd row when they are folded down. Completely covered. Just get a couple bins to hold things and since the the 3rd row completely covers the top, they will stay secured. But if you use the 3rd row...this wouldn't work I guess.
z
photo-6.jpg

Sorry about all the clutter in the background...going to be tending to that today!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for third row seat space.. it works well.

Trynian

Reaction score
The hot pipes you refer to I believe are the heater lines so hot coolant is running through them. I store stuff in there all the time. To be extra safe I just wrap anything next to the pipes with a small towel to insulate.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will do the same and wrap the tow strap in a small towel. And yes, they are probably coolant lines to the rear AC/heater unit.

I was surprised at how hot the pipes were and how easy it would be for someone to burn their hand reaching into that storage bin.

PhyrraM

Reaction score
I have had my tie-downs in a ZipLock bag in that compartment for a year now, with no issues or signs of the bag melting.

There is a factory accessory to hold the OEM tow receiver that goes in that compartment. It is basically molded Styrofoam, and that seems to hold up fine also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM