How accurate is your factory Nav system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jcegold

Ok to start off we traded our Honda Odyssey with nav for an lr3 hse (Honda is hard to beet for a navigation system). The land rover navigation is way off. I did reset the location and as far as the address it is supposed to be is 108 instead it states 157. Ok that being said. My 2004 GMC HD2500 calibrates the right number (I installed a Denali navigation system in this truck). How accurate is your navigation system in your lr3? Navigation is real important as my wife and I relocated from the NW to North Carolina and our territory is the North and South Carolinas. We have owned the rig for 2 weeks and wife is already talking about trading back for an Odyssey ouch.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "Navigation" is only as accurate as the map supplied by the vendor, which is Navteq. I have no problems, though obvious recent road changes are not reflected. My house is on the corner (as is everyone on my block), which it obviously is not... but every map vendor online is also incorrect.

J

jcegold

Thanks for the reply
grommet

but every map vendor online is also incorrect. [/QUOTE]
So this navigation system only directs you to a general area?

I understand that the system is only as good as the programmer.
My wife used it twice and each time it led her past the destination.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they mapped all the street addresses on my little court to the "corner"... like it's a condo complex entry or something. :) For most things, it's been quite accurate for me.

Your system is calibrated, right? In other words, does it show you exactly where you are? If not, run the calibration setup. If the address is wrong in the database, not much you can do other than hope it's fixed in a future update...

Yahoo! Maps uses Navteq, so you can check there. There is a way to submit feedback to Navteq if it's wrong: http://update.navteq.com/df_form.asp?language=en&Submit=Submit If it's fixed, it may make it to an update one of these years... vehicle map discs aren't updated very often.

Of course, it always possible they use data from other vendors, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I deal with Geocoded maps/mapping almost daily and I can tell you that the address listing VS placement is usually off. What the map vendors do is take one line segment between intersections and give it certain attributes.

First one is the name (hopefully it's correct), then they assign address numbers from e.g. 1 to 25 on the left side (as the line has been drawn) and 2 to 26 on the right side of the line. Hopefully the part time student has logged the correct address range when they were surveying the street. Sometimes builders provide them with a design map and not an as built. Then they assign a municipality name that is legal at that time. If you know it as Smithville and the legal name is Barnside you won't find it. Same goes for the street names.

The program takes the address range and breaks it up into equal lots on the line segment. It does not assign it to the correct sized lot!!! Think of the world and having to do it for each home/office etc!!! The data size would be too great.

The lat/long will be accuarte to within 1 to 2 feet depending on the number of satellites received. This can be confirmed if you have access to another GPS unit and take a reading in the same spot. The llat/long will be correct providing you select the correct declination for your area.

N

neytas2000

This doen not really have anything to do with this discussion, but here goes anyway - is our Nav on a DVD somewhere? How would we get updates if and when they are available. I am building a new house in a new subdivision and it would be nice to have my new street listed when I reset my 'HOME' entry.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
neytas2000 said:
This doen not really have anything to do with this discussion, but here goes anyway - is our Nav on a DVD somewhere? How would we get updates if and when they are available. I am building a new house in a new subdivision and it would be nice to have my new street listed when I reset my 'HOME' entry.
It usually takes about a year before the address/street is updated and then burned to a DVD for the public. Check with the dealership or the vendors website for timely updates. If you are in a low population density area ... less than 5,000, the updates may take over a year.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jaak said:
First one is the name (hopefully it's correct), then they assign address numbers from e.g. 1 to 25 on the left side (as the line has been drawn) and 2 to 26 on the right side of the line. Hopefully the part time student has logged the correct address range when they were surveying the street. Sometimes builders provide them with a design map and not an as built. Then they assign a municipality name that is legal at that time. If you know it as Smithville and the legal name is Barnside you won't find it. Same goes for the street names.

The program takes the address range and breaks it up into equal lots on the line segment. It does not assign it to the correct sized lot!!! Think of the world and having to do it for each home/office etc!!! The data size would be too great.

The lat/long will be accuarte to within 1 to 2 feet depending on the number of satellites received. This can be confirmed if you have access to another GPS unit and take a reading in the same spot. The llat/long will be correct providing you select the correct declination for your area.

cool info, thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99