Charging System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a fusible link at the positive battery cable- the small single wire that is bolted to the terminal. For the Battery Monitoring System
Tug on it and see if it comes apart.
Land Rover has a repair kit for this. Part # LR057241

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I checked that earlier not the problem.

The field wire from the Generator to the Gateway Module was showing very high resistance. I was able to isolate the problem to the wire between the connectors C2531L-4 and C2242L-15. Unfortunately this wire runs behind the dash in a large bundle. So I removed pin 15 from C2242L connected a splice connector so I could remove the original bad wire from the circuit, then another splice connector about 1inch from C2531L-4 so that pin still goes into the connector. I was able to nicely run the new wire along the FW behind the dash. If at some point I have to remove the dash, I can then spend the time to possibly repair the original wire and remove the overlay, but for now, all codes are clear, and Battery/Charging Circuit is functioning properly.

Last edited:

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Thanks I checked that earlier not the problem.

The field wire from the Generator to the Gateway Module was showing very high resistance. I was able to isolate the problem to the wire between the connectors C2531L-4 and C2242L-15. Unfortunately this wire runs behind the dash in a large bundle. So I removed pin 15 from C2242L connected a splice connector so I could remove the original bad wire from the circuit, then another splice connector about 1inch from C2531L-4 so that pin still goes into the connector. I was able to nicely run the new wire along the FW behind the dash. If at some point I have to remove the dash, I can then spend the time to possibly repair the original wire and remove the overlay, but for now, all codes are clear, and Battery/Charging Circuit is functioning properly.
Ok, I've been meaning to ask. Where are these 2 connectors located? I need to check mine as well.

According to the Connector Quick Reference Guide, C2242L (highlighted in blue) is on the RH kick panel, but I can't find C2531L.

1663779026191.png

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
C2531L Not listed for the 2011 LR4.
I noticed that, does that mean it's only on the new models with the start/stop "feature"? So, what connectors should I start tracing? Should I focus on connector C2242L first? I have the wiring diagram, I guess, I'll just ohm test a bunch of connectors around the charging system.

Last edited:

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've been meaning to ask. Where are these 2 connectors located? I need to check mine as well.

According to the Connector Quick Reference Guide, C2242L (highlighted in blue) is on the RH kick panel, but I can't find C2531L.

View attachment 22567
So, in my truck, 42L was upper righthand corner of pass footwell. I had to drop the main relay board to get full access. 531L is drivers side, just on the other side of the inner sheetmetal. There is a hole that you can feed the Gateway Module out of that area, which is basically in a "cavity" area. I pulled the side panel off, then pulled off all of the connectors, and the plastic connector "plate" that everything attaches to so I could have plenty of room.

Edit: I am guessing 531L, which is the Gateway Module connector, is tied to the battery monitoring system for both batteries for the Start/Stop.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut