How long for custom order?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

rheudabaga

My wife really wants the Rimini Red HSE and there are currently none in the midwest. Initially our dealer suggested 6-8 weeks for a custom order (which sounded almost too fast to me). Now he says 90 to 120 days. Three months I can see, but six months!?!

Anyone here custom order an LR3? How long did it take and how well did Land Rover manage the process (i.e. updates, accurate estimates, etc...)?

Thanks.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on their order call cycle and what the factory is accepting and producing. Land Rover "corporate" will generally not give you updates or accurate estimates... and the dealer can't guarantee anything. Once your car is actually produced by the factory, then they'll know more. :laugh:

Most of the LR3 owners I know waited for specific configurations (including me)... and there is no consistency on the time.

By the way, 120 days isn't 6 months. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LR3_Magic

Placed my order in 12/04 for a 2005 LR3 HSE fully loaded and got my order in 7/05. As far as update information it was pretty spotty. I did the majority of the calling to get status updates. Dealer could tell me when it was placed on a boat for America, but that was about it. Called to tell the salesman I was going on a trip and he said they had a truck outside unloading LR3's and he went outside and saw my vehicle on the truck. Got it the night before my trip so barely made it in time. So much for cummunication in the computer age!

H

Houm_WA

My order for a 2005 HSE was placed in early February 2005, and it arrived Mid-June. The delivery date slid all over the place. Under tremendous pressure (by me), the dealer shared the "pipeline sheet" with me so that I could see the vehicle with my name on it in the system. Yes, it literally had my name on it, but did not show a VIN until it had begun on the assembly line, which seemed like an eternity. At one point, I almost bought another HSE from a dealer in a neighboring state. They were offering to pay for my flight out there, too. ...this was out of frustration because my delivery date from my home-dealership had slid to August !! Literally the day I faxed a sales agreement to the other dealer, my home-dealership called me with the good news that my vehicle was set to deliver in June. The other dealership was cool about it, and let me just bow out of the sale...although later I learned that they would've had to anyway.

...didn't stop me from feeling like a real ****. Also, my home dealership had claimed to be putting pressure or dialing in favors with the factory....to what extent that is true, I really don't know.

In the end, I would say that they were pretty good about dealing with me, considering how much of a pain in the ass I was.

Worth it, though....when I saw that baby configured just the way I wanted it...I was elated.

R

rheudabaga

120/30 (approx)=4 ok, ok, 4 months. what was i thinking?

thanks for the input, fellas. not sure what to do. i'll talk to my salesman a bit more.

he had only searched the midwest for a car in our desired config. i'm going to ask him if they can cast a wider net. otherwise, i think my wife would wait to get the color she wants.

wonder how much of an upcharge they would want to get one in Vesuvious Orange...or is that only available on the Sport Super Charged? my wife loves that color!http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=22373#

P

PaulLR3

Hey, I thought you were going with the Q7. Just kidding...both are really nice vehicles. We're still undecided but I was quoted 90 to 120 days as well for a custom order LR3. Audi may have faster turnaround...it was 58 days from order to delivery for my custom ordered 3.2 6MT A4 avant.

T

txlr3

Wow! That was a pretty quick build. My S4 took almost 4 months and I actually went to the Port of Houston to pick it up a day after it cleared customs.

J

jackmac

LRNA appears to do a very poor job at tracking vehicles. Many stories about this on the forums.

Try using autotrader.com to search new vehicles. First dealer I checked had a Rimini Red HSE - VIN SALAG25416A376872 (it was in Florida)

For what it's worth, other companies (like BMW and Audi) have it down to a science. I was able to track my custom ordered BMW online step-by-step through the scheduling, assembly, and transportation process, and took delivery in about 10 weeks.

Regarding my LR3 purchase, after looking around and being told none were available in my desired color/combo, suddenly one day I see one at the dealer that is a match. They didn't even call, and had my info on file!

Under normal circumstances, your dealer should be able to determine every available Rimini Red HSE in the pipeline that isn't pre-sold, then trade out the slot with another dealer. This should be do-able up to the time it arrives at the port.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rheudabaga

PaulLR3 said:
Hey, I thought you were going with the Q7.

We are still waiting _patiently_ for the Q7 test drive. It's a long shot though. My wife loves the look and utilitarian gestalt (not sure if i'm using that word right, but it feels good!) of it.

There is a 10% chance for me to hoodwink her into the Q7...fuel economy (I know, we're splitting very thirsty hairs here) and price. Perversely, while the loaded Q7 is nearly 10k more than a loaded LR3, the lease numbers seem to be in the Q7's favor. At any rate, the payments would come out pretty even, so I'm just hoping that the test drive at the beginning of May really wows her (and me...I actually prefer the look of the LR3 also, but I believe that the Q7 will be a better performer).

Are you still waiting for the test drive also? Are you paulroad from Audiworld?

BTW, I have an S4 Avant on order that is supposed to be here in June. They quoted 90 days on that and they seemed very confident that they would hit it.

R

rheudabaga

Ok, well I think we got it. They had 2 show up in port today and we nabbed one. Supposed to pick it up Friday. Orlof in Chicago was awesome as usual.

Sad to give up on the Q7, but I'm excited about the LR3 and my wife is extatic.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak