So You Want an Auxiliary Fuel Tank for Your LR4...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few more images.

View across top showing routing for trailer hitch wiring, and GOE Emergency Air System plumbing.

7JhgUjR.jpg

Clearance between tank and factory rear inner bumper when tank is in place.

5yhDsY3.jpg

View across the top of the tank showing sending unit, vapor return port, and fuel output port.

wtnZJ1t.jpg

Tank pretty much in place supported by axle stand.

iqnRYL7.jpg

Right hand view.

FlabM8p.jpg

Left hand view.

o94e8If.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have an inverter permanently mounted somewhere? I keep one with a pigtail floating around in the back, but I haven't located a good spot to permanently mount it.

The inverter is face mounted into some space behind the driver side rear cargo area plastic wall up high in the horizontal section that stands out the farthest which is just below the edge where the cargo area roll/cover would align.

It’s powered from the house battery as are all the interior lights except the two center lamps on the front and 2nd row. This means those two sets of outboard lamps and the two 3rd row reading lamps all come off the 2nd battery as well.

When camping you can set the automatic door opening lights on to off via the “hunting setting”. Then choose from the other lamps as needed but I don’t lwace them on as I often want the fridge to last several days if it’s warm outside. I like using a couple interior lamps of interior camping though.

The 3rd row reading lamps I left tungsten because it’s much more pleasant but all the others are changed to LED for much less power draw while also being a lot brighter.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3rd row reading lamps I left tungsten because it’s much more pleasant but all the others are changed to LED for much less power draw while also being a lot brighter.

Don't they have different color LED lights, soft and bright white? 3000K and 5000K as an example...

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inverter is face mounted into some space behind the driver side rear cargo area plastic wall up high in the horizontal section that stands out the farthest which is just below the edge where the cargo area roll/cover would align.

It’s powered from the house battery as are all the interior lights except the two center lamps on the front and 2nd row. This means those two sets of outboard lamps and the two 3rd row reading lamps all come off the 2nd battery as well.

When camping you can set the automatic door opening lights on to off via the “hunting setting”. Then choose from the other lamps as needed but I don’t lwace them on as I often want the fridge to last several days if it’s warm outside. I like using a couple interior lamps of interior camping though.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of rewiring the interior lights. I use the "hunting" feature, as well, and I have also changed out all of the bulbs to a 1.2 watt LED. There are a lot of those things in these vehicles. 15, if I remember correctly.

Were you able to intercept the circuit for those lights at one spot, or did you have to run wires to each location?

I'm anxious to get out and see the results of my latest project. I just did some carving to the auxiliary battery box and stuffed a group 24 marine battery in there to replace my old Optima Yellow Top. It took me from 55ah on the Optima to 76ah on the new battery. I also permanently mounted a NOCO charger under the hood, with a shore power plug in the front bumper. I added another pigtail to plug in my solar panel at the front, as well as the rear. I'm hoping with the solar trickle running in during daylight hours that I should be good for 5 days or more. We will see.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't they have different color LED lights, soft and bright white? 3000K and 5000K as an example...

Yeah. I had bought and installed some cheapos off amazon that were the standard LED bright white. After a few months I couldn't live with them anymore and found some warm white ones elsewhere. I think I got them at superbrightleds.com.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
technical

What’s the “hunting” setting or feature?

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read manual for details but It allows you to not have the interior lights turn on every time a door is opened.
Another thing I love about Rover. Adding that functionality and not being afraid to call it Hunting mode. Thanks for pointing it out

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few more images.

View across top showing routing for trailer hitch wiring, and GOE Emergency Air System plumbing.

7JhgUjR.jpg

Clearance between tank and factory rear inner bumper when tank is in place.

5yhDsY3.jpg

View across the top of the tank showing sending unit, vapor return port, and fuel output port.

wtnZJ1t.jpg

Tank pretty much in place supported by axle stand.

iqnRYL7.jpg

Right hand view.

FlabM8p.jpg

Left hand view.

o94e8If.jpg
@avslash are you running the tactical rovers rear bumper?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV