how much atf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 96 discovery and am replacing the transmision oil pan tonight. how much tranny fluid will i need ?

richrover

Reaction score
Are you in the states ? If so , automatics take 19.2 pints , but some will remain in the torque converter ..I would put 15 in it then check the dipstick ..That is what the book says ..

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 quarts is enough since you are not draining the whole tranny.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly 4.38 quarts anymore than that and you will have to drain some off. Start with 4 quarts start engine I think you'll find I'm correct.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, I ran in to this yesterday. Wish the owners manual listed the capacity like they do for the engine "add .65qt with filter change".
The 10qts listed in the manual is definitely too much when all you're doing is draining the sump. LOL

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes if just pulling the pan add 4,38 quarts with filter another .5 quarts. ( put in what one takes out. Obviously 10 quarts doesn't come out unless one pulls the lines .

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't really know how much came out. I opened the drain plug then went to do other things. Next time I'll have the drain pan empty and measure what comes out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM