1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humming sound after vehicle is turned off

Discussion in 'LR4' started by fireangel1313, Mar 14, 2020.

1. ihassan

ihassan New Member

I have a 1997 p38 in which I recently changed the fuel pump. I too noticed the same sound coming from the center rear section which is the location of my fuel pump. I've had my p38 for the past 20 years and never heard the noise until I changed the fuel pump. Based on that, I think its a fuel pump related hum!!

2. Kari Hardarson

Kari Hardarson New Member

It's the compressor for the air suspension, situated beneath the rear left door. If it hums for a long time you have a leak that needs fixing.
    Do it before it wears out the compressor.

3. Jimmy Brooks

Jimmy Brooks Full Access Member

Mine just made that noise for a minute then shut off. I have the heater on and I heard someone say something about that at some point in this form so it could be that but honestly like the others said I like the little noises. The car is alive or as my mom once said when she owned it, it’s possessed.

4. morrisdl

morrisdl Full Access Member

Mine makes a DMTL pump sound in the passenger rear wheel well once-in-a-while.
    I Didnt know what its called before reading this thread - thank you.

5. Dave K

Dave K New Member

There are two air pumps for the suspension. When the engine runs the larger pump activates for suspension adjustments, but when the engine is off a smaller pump runs at times to keep the system pressurized. This does make a humming noise...

6. morrisdl

morrisdl Full Access Member

a 2nd pump? I dont think so.