*#@%^! Ignition key broke!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we're at my parents' tonight and we realize there's something in the truck we need before going to bed. Truck is locked, and ~200 miles from home and at least 90 miles from the nearest Rover dealer is the very location that my only key decides to break.

This, of course, is at 10:15pm on a Saturday night.

Anyone have a cross-reference for a D1 ignition key? I'm not counting on being able to match to a "correct" LR key in the short run, and need to get something to match. SOON.

Help please!

D

discomike

Andy,
You are in deep goo.
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you might talk him into getting you the keey code and then you can have one made. Do you have the originial owners manual, did the dealer put the key code in it when the truck was sold?
Good luck,
Mike J.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
good luck even getting one cut, I've been to 3 dealers and both won't cut disco 1 keys becuase they are too thick :p

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike! We're trying a local contact -- maybe he can make me one tomorrow.

I'll post with results.

Andy

D

discomike

If you're lucky, he might be able to pull the ignition assembly, remove the bad key and cut one for you.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not that bad -- the key twisted and nearly broke in the driver's door. Locksmith is on the way, we'll see if he can cut one for me. The damage from twisting is "above" (i.e., closer to the handle of) the key, and the key is not broken. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah if its just that - he shall be able to make new one with no problem. Remember that there is another lock in passenger side and rear gate so he can just make replica based on those slots. Btw it seem not uncommon b/c my driver side door lock is actually not same as others, so i take it as it was replaced after similar event..

R

RoverDisco98

One note be SURE uncut part of the shank is as long as the original. If not it is possible to to insert the key in the ignition and start the truck hoerver, you may not be able to remove the key. This happened to me with a key from the local locksmith. The problem is that to remove the key you have to push it then turn. If the shank is not long enough you can not push it inn far enough the turn it.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ilco makes a key blank to fit the disco. Sorry I don't have the part # right now, I will get it tomorrow when I get back to my Rover. (I left my landy @ work on accident, drove home in a Geo Tracker?) (Don't remember much from friday) Good Luck! P.S. Don't you have keyless entry?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I'm back after a week of camping.

Local locksmith cut an Ilco key, it works perfectly.

I don't have keyless entry, as the truck didn't come with a transmitter and the one I bought "couldn't communicate with the truck's computer" per the dealership.

All is well. I'll be posting at some point tonight or tomorrow with a trip report.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Andy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99