IID Tool and control module firmware updates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my quest to reach zero codes thrown, I noticed that there are many control modules that have available firmware updates. Should I be looking to get these updated somehow? Does that require a trip to the dealer? I couldn't find a way to update from the tool itself...

Reaction score
The GAP IID can perform updates. You order off their web site as they craft them specific to your vehicle. They will tell you which ones are worth the effort and which are a waste of money. Or at least thats my experience with my ‘09 RR Sport.

DallasLoneStar

Reaction score
I got to zero codes, thought something was wrong with my IID. Then, crossover pipe burst and mechanic said it was time for chains to be done LOL.

Pagoda

Reaction score
If your vehicle isn't throwing any major faults (there are almost always going to be some faults - many don't matter) I'd suggest that you perhaps consider leaving well alone. The IID tool is a powerful thing and it's very easy indeed to get yourself into real trouble and do irreprable damage to the vehicle by affecting some 'discovery learning.' You wouldn't be the first person to brick a major ECU by tinkering. If you do need to flash an ECU, it's absolutely essential that you have a reliable power supply to the battery and a strong battery in the first place. I ignored this advice a few years back with an LR3 and gave myself a real scare.

(Also, GAP issued a new release towards the end of last year if you haven't already updated your IID tool. No idea what was in the new release, but I noticed last weekend that my tool firmware was changed).

rolledover

Reaction score
I have an 11 and there was a firmware update for the instrument pack. The older LR4's have a grey background around the fuel and temp icons whereas the 2012 and ups are just black and white. I did the update and everything went fine but now the seat belt light chimes incessantly whereas it never used to, so the firmware updates are not always worth it.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 11 and there was a firmware update for the instrument pack. The older LR4's have a grey background around the fuel and temp icons whereas the 2012 and ups are just black and white. I did the update and everything went fine but now the seat belt light chimes incessantly whereas it never used to, so the firmware updates are not always worth it.

It probably just reset the override when you did the update.

Get in the vehicle. Press start button without foot on brake to turn the car on. Buckle and unbuckle the driver's seatbelt 10 times in quick succession.

I bet that solves the chiming.

rolledover

Reaction score
It probably just reset the override when you did the update.

Get in the vehicle. Press start button without foot on brake to turn the car on. Buckle and unbuckle the driver's seatbelt 10 times in quick succession.

I bet that solves the chiming.

That worked, thank you! You are my hero!

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I find the IIDTool to be quite terrifying - lots of potential for messing things up!

Personally, I do not upgrade software on ANY of my devices, vehicles, phones, and only on the computer when it's a critical security update.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut