Inside Rear View Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

almaX

Reaction score
Yesterday My 07 LR3 lost its grip on the inside rear view mirror. Took it to the dealer to get it fixed 2 hours later I had a mirror back on. This morning the mirror is off again, went to the auto parts store and bought the kit to repair the mirror. Glued the tab back in place waited 5 hours to be safe and re attached the mirror. Tonight mirror is hanging again. After examining the mirror, button and windshield, I think the issue is that the surface where the mirror attaches to the windshield is not glass but is covered with the black material for the rain sensor. Anyone have experience re-attaching them to the windshield. I think I will have to get some kind of epoxy?? :confused:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're still under warranty I'd have the dealer sort it out.

almaX

Reaction score
Don't trust them to put it back together again correctly. They told me they had never seen one fall off. I guess I am the only LR3 owner in the planet to have that happen to... :albertein . They used some kind of Gorilla glue, it just came right off when the heat built up in the car. I have used a two part epoxy JB Weld specifically as every time you take the car to the dealership it takes them days to do anything. Just wanted to know if there was a piece of sticky tape that was meant for this application (doubtfull as the mirror is pretty heafty). When it fell the first time there was a greyish compound under it that was somewhat flexible, i guess for when you go off road so there is some shock absortion. It is curing now so let's see if it will take the torsion when you put the mirror back on. If not I will have to get a stronger bonding agent.

trouguex

Reaction score
I have seen this happen before and we ended having to get a rear view mirror attachment kit made by "permatex" I think the part # is 11067-2. That stuff worked great.

almaX

Reaction score
trouguex,

That was the exact kit I bought!!, used the extreme one. Sadly it didn't hold. JB weld also failed to attach it for more than a day. The mirror is off again.:ahhhhh: I am going to call the dealer in the morning to see what if any they can do. I had read somewhere that sometimes this piece is attached by the factory and you need a replacement of the windshield, hopefullly not my case but if it is the case all this should be done under warranty.

almaX

Reaction score
Fixed!!

Well I guess the third time is the charm!! Actually the 4th...:biggrin: . After having the JB weld fall flat on its face went to the parts store and got another kit from Permatex. The extreme mirror repair kit (the same I had initially used after the dealer failed to re-attach it) and this time went online to read the instructions and guess what they forgot to print a pretty important detail on the actual package: USE sand paper to sand windshield button This time I went a step further, I cleaned both the windshield black trip where the mirror attaches to the windshield and the button with acetone, then used a fine sand paper grit 180 to sand the button then applied the activator to both the button and the windshield and finally the glue on the button and pressed on for a minute. Well, now 3 days later, it is still holding strong!! Wish the package would of explained itself better. Also the weight of the mirror does not help!!! Hope this piece of information saves anyone who reads this the hassle!! trouguex Thanks Again!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635