Intake Manifold + Water Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took the truck in because of a noise in the engine. They confirmed the water pump is shot but also discovered noise coming from the intake manifold. They are doing some work there.

This will be the last thing I get done under my 3rd party extended warranty. They are covering the $2600 bill for all this work. My warranty expires in 2 weeks - I am super lucky (I guess).

Water Pump I've heard of going a lot. Not super surprised. What about the intake manifold - what's that all about?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much was the warranty? more than what you saved on the work?

Also, curious what the noise sounds like? I haven't had my pump swapped yet so I am still nervous about it.

Last edited:

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $3600 when I bought the car in 2012 (it was 2011 with very low KM). So far under the warranty I have had bushings replaced ($800), Parking Brake Module ($1400) and now this $2600. So I came out ahead for sure.

Now with the warranty up I'm getting a little nervous to be honest.

I will post a video on youtube of the noise tonight. It's a metal sound. It sounded horrible - I knew something was right.

pat955

Reaction score
How many miles on your truck? My '10 (68K) has been nothing but rock solid, nothing but normal matainence.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took the truck in because of a noise in the engine. They confirmed the water pump is shot but also discovered noise coming from the intake manifold. They are doing some work there.

This will be the last thing I get done under my 3rd party extended warranty. They are covering the $2600 bill for all this work. My warranty expires in 2 weeks - I am super lucky (I guess).

Water Pump I've heard of going a lot. Not super surprised. What about the intake manifold - what's that all about?

Search around on Jaguar forums and you'll see a lot more info - this engine (essentially) has been in a lot of Jag XF models and there are a lot of posts about intake manifold issues. It seems the plastic intake can wear out gaskets and the manifold itself cracks from time to time. Seems pretty common among those vehicles. It's actually really common among pretty much all brands of vehicles these days since they've started using plastic intake manifolds. Good for you getting it fixed under warranty.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that the plastic thermostat housing manifold?

The thermostat housing is plastic and is a relatively common failure point. The entire intake manifold is also plastic and is a common (but far less common) failure point.

cj60

Reaction score
I paid $3600 when I bought the car in 2012 (it was 2011 with very low KM). So far under the warranty I have had bushings replaced ($800), Parking Brake Module ($1400) and now this $2600. So I came out ahead for sure.

Now with the warranty up I'm getting a little nervous to be honest.

I will post a video on youtube of the noise tonight. It's a metal sound. It sounded horrible - I knew something was right.

cj60

Reaction score
Do you have an update on this noise ?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72