Interesting read on Diff fill capacities.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checking fluid in front and rear locking diff, and only way is to drain/measure refill, so curious why they just don't fill to fill hole and found this discussion....

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fill to spill and chill. This is my method. No leaks or blown seals for the past 18 years on my LR3&LR4. I did cut the breather caps on the LR3 as they were known to plug.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the factory service manual says not to fill to the hole, it has specific amounts. I follow the manual. It isn't a lot different though, so I wouldn't argue it makes a ton of difference. I'd just rather follow what it says.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.64q isn't very much compared to 2 qts. Looking at the manual, I found the diff is a 3.54:1 ratio. Pretty sweet spot on the freeway, yet it has some get up and go right off the line. I have to work hard to be smooth on the throttle because it likes to launch and jump ahead of everyone from the stoplight. It also feels like the torque split ratio between front and rear favors the front, but I just looked that up and the manual says 50:50. It seems like the front end lifts up a lot taking off, but maybe that is from having air shocks?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the manual does state not to use the fill holes as levels but then they give this nugget of insight lol. Good luck.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 160650.png

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to start using fill hole. Much easier to periodically ck levels. Had to drain and refill just to ck levels in frt/rear.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the front I believe I did it on ramps so there was some angle. Probably level was just below the fill if vehicle was completely level.. On the rear just to to the fill when sitting level. Opening another can of worms I used Royal Purple instead of the "factory recommended unobtanium Castrol XO or whatever they call it" lol. After 100k kms the oil came out clear both front and rear.

Also don't forget the transfer case! Different fluid.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a rear locking diff it’s also a different fluid type than the front diff.

Another small thing to consider.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72