iPhone with iOS4 & Pandora work fine (so far)!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what happens to me now.
It worked great under iOS4, but once I upgraded to 4.1 it quit working.
Other streaming audio apps do the same thing since 4.1

To double check that it was 4.1 that changed, I also tried my wife's phone
before and after the upgrade. Same results.
That is interesting. I'm tempted to downgrade to iOS 4.0 if it'll make my Pandora work.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just updated my iPhone 3GS to iOS 4.2 and Pandora streaming still doesn't work. I'd be interested to know if anyone has found a solution to this problem (other than going back to iOS 4.0).

JohnR

Reaction score
Same result here. No change with 4.2.
Very disappointing, since car stereo compatibility was one of the fixes listed in the update.

willw

Reaction score
I do not have the iPhone 4, but was having the same problems with getting Pandora to play. It would play for a second and then revert to my iPod. However, when I plugged my iPhone in and then hit the home button and flipped to my page with Pandora and hit play everything streamed perfect.

On my E350 I can play Pandora through the Bluetooh Audio function and can use the master control knob to move the song forward if I don't care for it. I can't see the song on the screen, but I understand that Mercedes sells a proprietary cable that allows you to have full functionality.

This is definitely one feature where Land Rover is behind the curve on.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone tried putting their itunes library on usb and playing it from the usb port ?

willw

Reaction score
I spoke to soon. I was able to play Pandora last night and tried it this morning following the exact same process and no luck. It would play for about two seconds and then revert back to my iPod.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to soon. I was able to play Pandora last night and tried it this morning following the exact same process and no luck. It would play for about two seconds and then revert back to my iPod.
Your post prompted me to try Pandora again during our ski trip (my husband was driving so it made it easier to play around with it). I have the iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.2.

First try -- worked no problem.

Second try - had to try various combinations of unplugging/replugging the cable, toggling audio buttons on the screen, and also on the iPhone. It did finally work after about 10 tries or so.

Third try -- took about 10 or 15 tries, but finally got it to work.

I haven't figured out what combination of buttons makes it work. I'll be sure to post if I can figure this out.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone tried putting their itunes library on usb and playing it from the usb port ?

I've tried plugging in my iPhone via the USB port and it does absolutely nothing. Doesn't even charge the iPhone. If you don't use the iPod cable, I believe the only other option is to use the Aux cable with your iPhone.

willw

Reaction score
I guess I wan't paying close enough attention when I was able to stream Pandora with just the iPod connection to recreate it again. It works well enough through the aux plug, but nice to have one less wire laying around.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured out how to make Pandora work. Basically, you need to get your iPod to finish playing songs (not paused) and then Pandora works -- at least it did for my iPhone 3GS with OS 4.2.1.

I did this by creating a Playlist called "Pandora", and I only put one mp3 track in that Playlist which is 2 seconds of silence (I created that track with music editing software). I go to that playlist and play that track. When it's done playing (all of 2 seconds), I can go to Pandora and hit play and it does not revert back to the iPod.

Hope this helps! :)

Edit: The LR4 will always loop the playlist in repeat mode (even if I explicitly turned off repeat mode on the iPhone). However, the above workaround still works because there will be a short gap in between playings of the 2 second "song". It appears that because the song is short, there is a good chance that when you hit the "Play" button on your Pandora, it will be during the short duration between the songs, and Pandora will continue to play without reverting back to the iPod. If it doesn't work the first time, just hit the "Play" on Pandora a few more times. It'll usually work within about 3 tries.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM