Is it possible to remove the middle seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am personally wondering if it looks "not normal" such as open holes in the floor. The last thing i want to do is dumb down the looks of this wonderful interior.

I recall there are less "bits" of things under the center seat because it is not heated so there is no wiring hanging out and the mounts are essentially incorporated into the mounts for the outboard seats so it's not perfectly clean but it's better than you'd expect.

Part of the reason there is such thick foam under the carpet is for sound deadening so they pretty much cover all possible surfaces and that keeps it looking tidy.

The overall interior feel is actually nicer without that center seat even when you fully use the 3rd row because people can actually "walk" in from the 2nd row foot well and through the middle rather than having to flip the 2nd row seats forward.

However, if you use the 2nd row seat backs as your cargo safety barrier, then removal is a terrible idea as it would allow an item to fly from the back right into the front dash.

Mine has recovery gear, including chains and a high-lift, tucked into the 3rd row footwell and space behind 2nd row. The high lift "bar" 48" version just barely fits lodged between both sides but just below the floor level while still allowing the 2nd row seats to be up or down.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seats down and covered but you can see how perfectly the ARB freezer/fridge just happens to fit:

fridge%20side.jpg

fridge%20top.jpg

There would be more clearance between front handle and center console however with the items in the 3rd row footwell, mine has to be snug there.

I'm not going to pull this thing out right now but I felt under it and around the rear edge of the 2nd row seats there are a couple open spots in the carpet. I just put a towel under mine which covers the holes and catches any debris so it's super easy to clean periodically. Basically the 2nd and 3rd row flooring/foot well areas are either covered by the Land Rover rubber mats or a towel tucked under them to keep the carpet nice long term.

mateostyle

Reaction score
On the LR4 it required the removal of six bolts; two forward and four bolts on the rear of the seat. No wiring or anything else to deal with. Once all six bolts are out, roll folded seat back and take out through the rear of the car. Makes LR4 look like it came with captains seats (almost) from factory.
Makes it much easier with the kids to get in and out. We wish we would have done this a long time ago.

mateostyle

Reaction score
I couldn’t find anything else online about removing the seat. The forum was a good resource google pointed me to when searching for “LR4 middle seat removal”.

Easy 10 min job counting toting the removed seat down to basement and putting socket and torx 50 back in the toolbox.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We do appreciate that you are going to post pictures but like many others i clearly understood that we only wanted to see how it looks with the seats out not exactly how to take it out. I am personally wondering if it looks "not normal" such as open holes in the floor. The last thing i want to do is dumb down the looks of this wonderful interior. However your idea of putting a fridge there is great and is something i would love to see. Remember...we are all part of the same LR CLUB at the moment. Let's band together..not mock each other. We did agree to buy the same type of vehicle. :)

^^^ #what he said ^^^

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a fridge that would fit in that middle space when the seats were in the 'low flat' position? This is how we sleep flat (with no drawers or platform) in the LR4. Maybe too low for any sort of reasonable fridge...?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this in my search for info on the Torx bit size needed to remove 2nd row center seat (T-50). A friend is parting out her LR3 and I'm going to use that center seat as a garage chair after adding some caster wheels to the base. Anyone else ever done that?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4