Is there anyway to see if crossover pipes have been done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Of course the designs can change at any time, but I looked at the video's.
THIS IS TRUE AS OF WHEN I DID THEM..
The new front crossover for the 2013 (Dec 2021) was the same design as the old one - two halves glue welded together
The new crossover for the 2016 (Apr 2022) is the new design, one round piece blow molded as one piece.

SkiWill

Reaction score
Thanks! Here are my two videos. Crazy long - all you ever wanted to know but didn't even know to ask.
2013 V8 and 2016 V6.
(Also other video's out there and more to come - ugh - more to fix - gotta love 'em - they are our mechanical babies...)

When you do the 2016 be sure to replace the supercharger coupling and change to oil.

A lot of the information is these videos is from the Masters on this forum. My thanks to everyone.

I hope these help...

TX, I've watched the video that you put together and I have to thank you for all the hard work. It's not that I can't do this job, it's that I don't have the time or desire to do this job. Unfortunately, I found that 2 of the 3 independent Land Rover shops in the Salt Lake area recently closed, and the third is swamped and mostly works on the older Discovery and Defender vintage Land Rovers and they haven't been able to fit mine in. I've been trying to get this job done for months.

I found a European shop that does Jags, Bentley, Range Rovers, etc and had good reviews. They are able to take mine in on Tuesday so hopefully they will be able to complete the job in a few days. I had to add 300 ml of coolant the other day, but can't find the leak. Getting this taken care of will at least give me some piece of mind since I don't use my LR4 for commuting, but rather remote travel in the mountain west where a coolant system failure would be a lot more of an issue than an interrupted commute.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
If you still have your vehicle in hand...

The most likely location for a small otherwise hidden leak is the front crossover pipe.
Pull up the video for the 2016 and go to 21:25.
This is also a diagnostic location for the 2013.
Even if you don't have a UV light, you can sometimes see a "wet" reflection down there.

My 2016 had such a small leak that I never even noted a coolant loss, but as you can see in the video - it's obvious when you know where to look.

SkiWill

Reaction score
If you still have your vehicle in hand...

The most likely location for a small otherwise hidden leak is the front crossover pipe.
Pull up the video for the 2016 and go to 21:25.
This is also a diagnostic location for the 2013.
Even if you don't have a UV light, you can sometimes see a "wet" reflection down there.

My 2016 had such a small leak that I never even noted a coolant loss, but as you can see in the video - it's obvious when you know where to look.

I looked in that location but don't have a UV light. I'm guessing there's a small leak in that location but couldn't tell with just a regular flashlight. The shop got to work on it right away yesterday on Tuesday when they said they would, so they're off to a good start. I'm having them do everything while they're in there: water pump, thermostat, front and rear crossover pipes, oil cooler gasket, belts, etc. Unfortunately the rear cross over pipe had to be ordered from out of state. It was out of stock locally, so I probably won't get the Rover back until next week. They said that for the crossover pipes they only use genuine parts because the knock offs are not reliable so that gave me some reassurance as well. I just figured I'd have them basically re-baseline the cooling system while they have it that far apart so that I can keep exploring and towing for another 6-7 years without major concerns regarding the cooling system anyway.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all SCV6 LR4’s had the updated design. Mine is a 2015 and it did not. To answer your question, I doubt the 2014 came with the updated design, so very easy to look and see if you have the one piece front pipe. If you do, it’s been replaced. Google for updated design so you can see pictures to know what to look for.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front crossover pipes were not redesigned until about 2018, so none of the LR4s had redesigned pipes as sold. You can spot recently replaced front crossovers in the 2014-2016 models.

But, they did not redesign the front crossovers for the V8 models. So can’t tell if V8 front crossovers were replaced just by looking at the pipe design.

And, rear crossovers were not redesigned on any of the models. So can’t tell if those were replaced either.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA