Items to check before 100K warranty expires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few thousand miles left before my 100K extended warranty expires on my 2013 HSE LUX. It has been a great purchase and has definitely paid for itself with a few pricey repairs (gas fume smell resulting in tank drop to investigate, DMTL pump (twice), purge valve, water pump, control arms, firmware updates to fix erratic key FOB behavior)

Do you have any suggestions of things I should have my mechanic take a special look at while I'm still covered by the warranty?

Since I have already had my water pump and crossover pipe replaced, the only thing that comes to mind is the timing chain which was suggested earlier.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you've mentioned all the usual suspects. Minor thing but is your windshield cowling in good shape? Nice and tight and not ashy and wrinkley? EAS operating normally? Rear tailgate latch OK?

Planning to hang on to it, I hope? Also, I think having our favorite indy give it the once over is a good idea even if you don't have any complaints. Have him bust out his stethescope!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the shop foreman at my LR dealer go over mine at 98K. Found the water pump leaking again (water pump #3) and oil leaking out of the passenger side valve cover. Replacing the valve cover gasket would have been an expensive item but CPO warranty covered it. However, the oil was dripping into the alternator. He said they have seen this before and the alternator will fail sooner due to the oil. So I paid for a new alternator and also had them install new the spark plugs while in there.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have it scanned for codes that might be set, but not throwing a warning light, so they can be addressed if present.

Take a measurement at each wheel and check for any settling overnight to be sure you don't have any air leaks.

EPB working properly? That is generally an inordinately expensive repair.

Get the truck in the air and check for any play in all four wheel bearings.

Check all bushings (including sway bar bushes).

Tie rods/tie rod ends and upper/lower ball joints on the front end.

Steering rack; any groaning, shudder, squeaking when turning the wheel?

Any ECM updates it needs?

Oil/coolant leaks anywhere? Waterpump, valve covers, vacuum pump?

And you do hear those timing chains rattling, don't you....wink wink.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great list, thanks. Open to any other ideas you can come up with.

My cowling is ashy looking, but it is otherwise solid and stable. I wouldn't think it would be covered by a warranty, but I wish I'd replaced it at 53K when I had a new windshield put in.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cowling is ashy looking, but it is otherwise solid and stable. I wouldn't think it would be covered by a warranty, but I wish I'd replaced it at 53K when I had a new windshield put in.

FWIW, I had mine replaced on each of my LR4's; both times it was covered by factory warranty.

@avslash has the best list and it also reminded me of these very very slight squeaky friction noises I sometimes here when turning my wheel quickly like when I am pulling in and out of my garage. My wife drove it once and she came back saying my Rover was haunted. To her the sound was so faint that she thought it was little voices! It may be the clockspring in the wheel assembly. I'm not concerned about it, but I'm also not on the last legs of a warranty, either...

One more thought-- double check the function of your spare tire winch and cable. According to Dan, this is notorious for binding up and requiring replacement. When he lowered my tire during a rotation, he was super careful to maintain lots of downward pressure on it as it came down.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 107K and the clockspring voices appear on really hot days but seem to go away on cooler days. All of my previous Audis had this issue as well.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... these very very slight squeaky friction noises I sometimes here when turning my wheel quickly like when I am pulling in and out of my garage. My wife drove it once and she came back saying my Rover was haunted. To her the sound was so faint that she thought it was little voices! It may be the clockspring in the wheel assembly. I'm not concerned about it, but I'm also not on the last legs of a warranty, either...

Clockspring is one I hadn't heard about. I had to google to figure out what it was. I definitely hear mine when it is quiet and I am maneuvering at slow speeds. It isn't loud and I don't think it's an issue. I may ask about it though.

FYI - Good description of it HERE if anyone else is curious what it is.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clockspring replacement labor cost was quoted as between $44 and $56 in that link...eyebrow-raising to say the least (as in seemingly way too low??)

I don’ think it’s an issue, either. Just mentioned it in the spirit of thoroughness.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72