Items to check before 100K warranty expires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have killed two over the years. Admittedly when trying to wrangle an oversized spare underneath.

They are not durable, nor reliable.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd spare tire winch as well. Never lift it back up without a spare on, at least the old design one.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check autotrader for a CPO LR4 replacement. I just couldn't stomach running ***** with one of these. Love ours, but...

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your winch has a hex head then tire shops have been known to use an impact on it. Over tightening ruins it. The updated part is not a hex head.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, guys. I had my Independent Mechanic check all those things yesterday and he said my truck is tip-top! So I'm not expecting any major issues until 100,000.1 miles.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your winch has a hex head then tire shops have been known to use an impact on it. Over tightening ruins it. The updated part is not a hex head.
Yeah, that's a problem also.

I have used cable winches like these on other applications (boats) and they are prone to fail, usually due to the cable. The cable develops memory from being coiled under tension. So when you are letting it up or down with any slack the cable develops loops. These loops can tangle with other parts of the cable and bind it up, then you can't raise it OR lower it! When this happens, you can usually sort it out by pulling the cable out under tension... let it ALLLLL the way out. (probably requires a little back and forth with the handle) Then wind it back in under tension to get a nice clean wrap on the winch wheel. Maybe this helps someone with a roadside problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM