Johnson Rod lift problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmostech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just confused how installing the rods can throw a fault. I understand there is a slow leak in the line hince why its on its stoppers now. that leak had been there a long time. not a problem cuz normally it just raises back up when i start the car. But now that there is that fault there is no way to raise it, the pump doesn't even try, It's like its completely disabled and just needs to be tuned back on.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...but usually that is just a "sensor out of range" type of fault and it resets...and it usually happens when you are in extended mode and try to go to super extended mode.

This one seems different, especially if your bags deflated (while you were gone). Did they do that before? Does the compressor even try to pump 'em up when you hit the switch? Is the fault light still illuminated after the hard reset?

cmostech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...but usually that is just a "sensor out of range" type of fault and it resets...and it usually happens when you are in extended mode and try to go to super extended mode.

This one seems different, especially if your bags deflated (while you were gone). Did they do that before? Does the compressor even try to pump 'em up when you hit the switch? Is the fault light still illuminated after the hard reset?

Yes the bags deflate when i go out of town all the time. the compressor never even tries to turn on, and the lights next to the switch do not even come on. When i turn the knob or hit the height switch it just says special programs off. However the low and high mode still work.

Trynian

Reaction score
If the pressure in the resevoir tank gets to low because of the leak the system will not restart until it is hooked to a diagnostic computer and told to do so.

Could be the leak has become worse over time and let to much air out of the tank.

cmostech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i tried firing the compressor manually http://disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3113&pos=1 with no luck. Trynian you may be right if this is the case that the pressure is so low the compressor wont turn on even if hot wired like the diagram. looks like Monday she is going to get towed in... now to put back on the original rods so they cant saw i voided my warranty :)

cmostech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and the best part is its at a body shop getting lots of custom body work/paint done so it looks horrible right now with no hood, tailgate headlights and its all sanded lol the dealership is going to freak. :tongue:

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be time for me to change out my compressor as well. Preventative maintenance is in order after six years of use! Keep us posted on what the outcome is.

Picture435.jpg

http://johnsonrods.com

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GET THAT LEAK FIXED.....Mine is not a daily driver and there are periods were it will sit for 2-3 weeks in between use and it doesn't even move an 1/8"!!! If yours is deflating that fast the leak is likely to grow and cause more problems or leave you stranded on your oversized tires. It will also put extra stress on the compressor and cause early failure of that componet...Also having the faultmate and been through this before I agree with Trynian about using the diagnostic scanner to get it restarted..

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a hard-reset didn't help, how would the Faultmate help? Is this an example of a scenario I was asking about on a different thread in which having a Faultmate can get the EAS going again whereas a hard reset will not?

Trynian

Reaction score
If a hard-reset didn't help, how would the Faultmate help? Is this an example of a scenario I was asking about on a different thread in which having a Faultmate can get the EAS going again whereas a hard reset will not?

No, Clearing a fault either by hard reset or fualtmate will not make the compressor start if the pressure in it is below I think 14 pounds.

But hot wiring it as the poster mentioned, should start it up. So if that is not working also then it is probably dead and in need of replacement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99