1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johnson Rods vs Proud Rhino

Discussion in 'Defender' started by DonMitsu, Aug 10, 2020.

1. DonMitsu

DonMitsu Full Access Member

I've decided on the Johnson Rods. The lower lift should have less impact to on road driving dynamics and the Johnson Rods I had on my LR4 for a decade were great quality. I do hope Gap Diagnostics releases the IID tool soon though

Troy Angrignon likes this.
  2. Jayd33

Jayd33 New Member

After reviewing many threads on JR vs PR lifts on various forums, youtube comments, and Instagram posts, I came to the conclusion there's a negligible difference in quality between the two, but more importantly, these lifts are a non-stressed part when installed. Still, I usually drink the "more expensive must mean better" juice. Was about to check out then noticed the high shipping fees from JR while PR was free. I don't mind paying a higher cost for better equipment, but I dunno--- I just detest paying for shipping, especially for small, light items that can get delivered through standard USPS mail. So Proud Rhinos for me I guess. They also started making 1" lifts if you're truly worried about driving dynamics.

DonMitsu likes this.
  3. morrisdl

morrisdl Full Access Member

I love Lucky8 stuff, but I would recommend neither.
    Get or make adjustable rods for for now and after GAP IIDtool supports Defender2

these: https://amzn.to/30y544W << do not buy these, just an example
    **Not sure how different the LR3/LR4/RRS rods are from Defender in length**

Adjustable will give you infinitely more options in the future,

4. LB Bill

LB Bill Member

Where did you find 1" Proud Rhinos? I've not been able to locate. At least not on Lucky 8's site or through a search, but I haven't called them. I know Johnson makes 1.5".
    Thanks !

5. Jayd33

Jayd33 New Member

Someone requested a 1" lift on Instagram and Lucky8 made them one and said they were available for sale. Try shooting them an email or give them a call. I'm sure they'll sell you a set.