Just bought a 2002 Freelander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

tophetec

Congrats

Congrats, watch the breaks on your freelander, they tend to wear out quite quickly, but it is a great vehicle. This is you lucky day...I had a 2002 special order freelander S model which I traded in. Prior to trading it in, I had installed Recaro seats and put custom rims on it. Since I still have the original heated seats (cloth taupe) and original stock 16" rims with one brand new replacement tire, I thought someone would jump at them....so far, no one has. They are yours (for free) if you want them..just pay the shipping cost or pick them up (I am in Chicago). I just want then out of my garage at this point....good luck with the Freelander, I loved mine.

CEL

T

trburton

I will join any lawsuit. My US V6 had transmission replaced at 45000. Engine desintgrated at 55000. LR would not replace or help with the $8000 bill. My Land Rover nightmare continues. If you have a Freelander V6 2002. Get rid of it.

RDM3

Reaction score
trburton said:
I will join any lawsuit. My US V6 had transmission replaced at 45000. Engine desintgrated at 55000. LR would not replace or help with the $8000 bill. My Land Rover nightmare continues. If you have a Freelander V6 2002. Get rid of it.

I have a 2002 V6 with about 53k miles on it, now I got it at aout 48k miles, but have not had any issues with mine.

I actually like driving it alot

Q

QMYR

2002 Freelander junk

I have had numerous issues with my 2002 Freelander HSE. After the factory warranty expired, March 2005, we have had $16,000 in repairs. Main item being engine and transmission. My dealer is well aware of this but they can't really help out. We have an extended warranty that has shielded us from a majority of those costs, but the minute it expires, we are dumping the car. LR knows there are issues. It seems they knew a bunch of the trannys were bad, but did nothing about it. Also, they know the engines are bad. Cylinder sleeve fell in ours. We just recently got the tranny fixed at $5400 and have now had 2 $1200 repairs in 2 days for various fuel intake problems. My wife and I love this car and this is a tough choice, but we are getting rid of it fast. Do not get a new engine, get the LR rebuilt long block. My guess is that LR does not want to inspect the new engine stock for the defects. Only during the rebuild can they fix (or maybe not) the problem. I also believe that they will not rework any of the existing part stock to fix the defects.

The other issue we learned to is about our extended warranty. They have a small clause excluding emission components. Well, this is such a broad term that technically any part that air/fuel could touch as it goes through the car can be excluded from the repair. They have envoked this on one repair bill but we are fighting it.

All I want now is to get the dealer to buy the car back at trade in value.

Q

QMYR

2002 Freelander junk

My dealer has been very great in this situation, but they have also been very honest. The service manager and both service reps have stated that they would never own a Freelander without a warranty. They know that advice can cost them money down the road in terms of lost future business, but they have seen our frustration. Their suggestion is we dump the car before our extended warranty expires in March 2007.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM