Just bought a 2002 Freelander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDM3

Reaction score
I just bought a 2002 Freelander S, it has 48,000 miles and paid $10,937, I got it from a Mercedes delaer, I didn't think the price was too bad , so far so good, I like it alot.

Anything I should look out for? I have a 3 month 5000 mile warranty, so I want to solve any problems asap.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The engines are known for issues (they tend to die for no reason) ok, issues are normally oil issues, watch out for any knocking sounds.

RDM3

Reaction score
joey said:
The engines are known for issues (they tend to die for no reason) ok, issues are normally oil issues, watch out for any knocking sounds.

Thanks!! I hope I don't have any major issues.

R

rbutler

I hope I am not out of place naming other forums on this list but you will find there are a lot more Freelander owners on MuddyOval.com and on FreelanderOwners.com

48,000 is one of the scheduled maintenance points.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
rbutler... no issues at all naming other forums, we all would rather you or anyone else get good info, rather than no info.... wish we had more people here.

G

Ginger

Sell It!!!

Hello,

My advice to you is to sell it as fast as you can, although honestly I could not in good conscience sell this car to anyone! I have a 2002 Land Rover Freelander that I bought new. I have spent in excess of $9,000 to date on repairs (new transmission, new heater core/blower fan, new immobilization unit, etc.) and there are things that don't work that I haven't fixed (inoperable window -- needs regulator, estimated cost over $500). In August, I had the car in for routine maintenance and asked that a technician inspect a loud/rough sound in the engine. When I picked the car up, no one mentioned the sound and I forgot to ask about it until I was on the road driving and heard the sound again at which point I called the dealership. I was told that everything was fine. One week later, while driving to Florida for a family medical emergency, the car died. The engine stopped running while on a busy expressway. We pulled to the side of the road and attempted to restart it, to no avail. The car was towed to the nearest dealership and I was told by them that the timing belt broke and that the whole engine needed to be replaced at an estimated cost of $11,000!!! No kidding. It is likely that a class action lawsuit will be filed regarding this the 2002 Freelander. By the way, Land Rover has taken absolutely no responsibility for the malfunctioning car that is the Freelander. I have been without the use of my car because of repairs for over 40 days and related to that have incurred the additional expense of car rentals. To read more about the experience of Freelander owners, see http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eea90db.

RDM3

Reaction score
Just as an update I have had zero issues with the Freeolander, it is a great car!!

N

Neilg

2002 Freelander yup, but what model please.

2002 Freelander with 48000 miles sounds good, but what type of Freelander do you have? Petrol/Diesel 1.8, 2.0L 2.5v6, manual/Auto model spec. They are all different and all have their quirks. I have a TD4 ES Auto 2001 with 53,000 miles

RDM3

Reaction score
Neilg said:
2002 Freelander with 48000 miles sounds good, but what type of Freelander do you have? Petrol/Diesel 1.8, 2.0L 2.5v6, manual/Auto model spec. They are all different and all have their quirks. I have a TD4 ES Auto 2001 with 53,000 miles

It is a 2002 Auto, now with 51000 miles gas and I know its a v6 pretty sure 2.5

N

Neilg

OK afew things to watch out for. Any clonks underneath, when you select drive and/or reverse, will probaly be the front mounting rubber on the rear axle. Its common, but good news they are about £12 or 420 or so to buy and you can the do the job yourself with very few tools. Just a bit of patience.
Make sure you change the engine oil regularly, at least every 10,000 miles and use a fully synthetic 5w 30 or similar. If the auto box is OK, then leave it well alone. My TD4 Auto has just failed at 53,000 miles, after I decided to change the oil. It is a JATCO autobox and although Landrover say change the autobox oil at 60,000, there is a debate as tro whether you should do this. JATCO indacte that their boxes require no oil changes. Some others, say change the oil every 30,000. I tried the oil change as I started to get a fault on 4th and 5th gear, and hoped it would clear. Wrong, it caused a bigger failure. In the UK we have a great JATCO remanufacturing workshops, so the full replacement should only be about £1400.
I know it sounds pretty bad, but actually, these cars are really very good overall, if you have them loked after. If yours is OK, enjoy.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM