Just received my notice to put my deposit down on a Grenadier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only time well tell if the Grenadier is even as good off road as the Land Cruiser 70-Series, G-Wagon, JLU Wrangler Unlimited, or even the L663 Defender 110.

I think it is truly a niche vehicle for someone who wants something different and does not mind paying for it. I doubt the aftermarket support will be there for the Grenadier.
Agree Doc. I was just playing with you on the previous post. for me, I waited patiently for the LR Defender to be unveiled only to be disappointed in what I knew to be a glorified grocery getter. I told my wife, wait until this is available and you will see them driving around our island like they were the cure for cancer. Sure enough, they are (by in large) grocery getters. We live on a very affluent Island and one of the most expensive places in the country, if there is a two car accident here, it's probably between a LR and a Tesla.

At any rate, we also have a summer home in northern Idaho about 20 miles or so from the Canadian border. This will make a awesome vehicle for the summer as now we only have one car for the family to share up there (yeah I know, 1st world problems).

I also like that I can work on this myself if need be. I'll do some overlanding up there as there are so many places to get lost, but nothing crazy.

But, as you say, time will tell. The one thing I like is that other, more harsh markets get it first, so they will be the beta tester.

Side note: we are replacing wife's LR with the redesigned Expedition that comes out next year. That will cost more than the Grenadier.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol I guess I should have just posted here.

Also a note here, as a prior BMW owner and somewhat enthusiast - I am horrified they chose that motor.
Why can’t they just toss a duramax in there keep problems to a minimum.

I spec’d out this green one, have to admit it does look badass.

View attachment 20793
heres what I spec'd out

Attachments

• Image%209-29-21%20at%207.27%20PM.jpg
    Image%209-29-21%20at%207.27%20PM.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 45

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question - did anyone find any print about what our cutoff is to get our reservation cash back if we find this thing to be garbage when it launches in Europe?

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question - did anyone find any print about what our cutoff is to get our reservation cash back if we find this thing to be garbage when it launches in Europe?
Yes, cuttoff is right before you sign the purchase order of six months of no response when you have been notified that your spot is open to order you vehicle. Up until that time, you can go to their website and request a refund at any time.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great well I’ll tell Alexa to remind sometime in 2022, thanks!

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres what I spec'd out
Your spec looks really nice!

Since I complained so much before, here's what I really like about the Ineos Grenadier:

-body on frame
-appears to be an outstanding steering & suspension setup
-17" wheels and available steelies
-classic exterior design seems to meld best parts of old Defender 110, 70-Series, and G-Wagon
-won't be hard to find in the parking lot and nothing wrong with owning a conversation piece
-back to basics off roading (no Terrain Response, G.O.A.T. modes, or A-Trac) with low-range and lockers
-provisions for electrical accessories: lights, winch, etc
-conceptually improves on the original Defender in many ways

I was very excited when Jim Ratcliffe announced this beast and just got more and more disappointed as the plant moved from Wales to Spain and now Germany and the powertrain selection was more performance than utility oriented.

Seems silly but I am upset with myself for believing the Grenadier would be everything Ineos promised it would be; like any manufacturer has ever delivered on everything they promised!

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your spec looks really nice!

Since I complained so much before, here's what I really like about the Ineos Grenadier:

-body on frame
-appears to be an outstanding steering & suspension setup
-17" wheels and available steelies
-classic exterior design seems to meld best parts of old Defender 110, 70-Series, and G-Wagon
-won't be hard to find in the parking lot and nothing wrong with owning a conversation piece
-back to basics off roading (no Terrain Response, G.O.A.T. modes, or A-Trac) with low-range and lockers
-provisions for electrical accessories: lights, winch, etc
-conceptually improves on the original Defender in many ways

I was very excited when Jim Ratcliffe announced this beast and just got more and more disappointed as the plant moved from Wales to Spain and now Germany and the powertrain selection was more performance than utility oriented.

Seems silly but I am upset with myself for believing the Grenadier would be everything Ineos promised it would be; like any manufacturer has ever delivered on everything they promised!
Doc,

great thoughts. As Ryan said, Ineos likely had to dance with the only partner to say yes on the engine. Additionally, they aren't going to be viable if sheep herders are the only clients. I think the BMW engine is a bit like JLR engines, used to be crap but now they are not. With our primary home here in greater Seattle, you can't hit a five iron without landing in the parking lot of someone who works on Bimmers. I do hate the shifter though. Man, that is typical german silliness. I hope they have long since fired that person at BMW>

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus, it’s a euro company. They are going to use a euro engine. What euro engine is better? It’s been rated one of the ten best engines ever. LC300 has a turbo six. You might love the Toyota 8 but they have moved to a “less reliable” turbo six. Zf 8 is top line. Plus they are using a detuned version of the bmw engine. So less stress. I agree on the shifter. And the console looks a little slapshod . But it is real buttons and functional.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM