Keyless Entry Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05LR3MA

Reaction score
I'm having issues with one of my keyless entry transmitters and I'm suspecting it's the rechargeable battery. I know the battery gets recharged when the key is in the ignition, but I think it may have reached it's end? (I have an '05 LR3) I asked LR how much a new one would be and they said after the new key is made and programmed, about $500...and I refuse to pay that. Any suggestions?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having similar problems. Mine has issues if it's been a while since its last use. In this past case, I just hadn't driven the LR3 much in the past week or so. I could lock/unlock the car, but the "double-click" to open the non-driver's doors wouldn't work for me. I'm sure after I drive it for a while it'll be fine, but it's bullcrap that this so-called rechargeable battery doesn't last longer and it's so expensive to replace.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read success stories on disco3.uk of buying the cheaper "new" (And they must be new) keys off of ebay. You can then disassemble the key swap the blades and have your local dealer "program" the key. I have a faultmate now and there is a place for me to program the keys so there isn't any reason the dealer couldn't do it either...

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can!!!! Key programming is the easy part. If you have a bad remote you can simply change out the blade and program the new remote. I haven't done this but what I have read indicates that you cannot reprogram a key only re-learn so it must be new. ($135) at BPUtah. I am actually thinking about buying one to have as a spare ready to go.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, lemme know if this works out. Maybe I'll get one too...and if you'd be willing to program it for me when I'm in PDX next, I'll buy ya a beer (or a pitcher!) at a nearby McMenamin's or something.

Man...I need to get me one of those Faultmates! No need for the rod-mod anymore right? Can't you also re-program the suspension?

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked LR how much a new one would be and they said after the new key is made and programmed, about $500

That's just BS, I'd shop around at other dealers. Mine just quoted me $180 for a new one.

but it's bullcrap that this so-called rechargeable battery doesn't last longer and it's so expensive to replace.

I've had my original keys for 4 years and they still range from half a mile away. Are you sure it's not one of the RF receiver wires in the passenger door sill that's corroded?

You can then disassemble the key swap the blades and have your local dealer "program" the key

From what I've heard from my dealer, the keys have to be custom ordered from the factory with the vin number for your car "built in" to it (for the key to turn on the car once it's in the ignition). After the dealer get's the keys, they still have to be synched with the car to make sure the "wireless" part of it works (lock/unlock/extra button works with RF receiver). I don't know if they can simply be programmed, but it sounds like the faultmate would be able to synch the keys, but not alter the vin number. Be interested to see if it works.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's the FOB and not the RF Receiver because after I drive with the key in the ignition for a substantial amount of time, it works fine.

05LR3MA

Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. My original intent was to buy a new FOB off of ebay and switch out the blade after having LR program the new FOB...I'll call the dealer to see if that's still a possiblity. I do strongly believe it's the FOB though...my wife has hers (that's used a lot less) and it works perfectly fine.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard from my dealer, the keys have to be custom ordered from the factory with the vin number for your car "built in" to it (for the key to turn on the car once it's in the ignition). After the dealer get's the keys, they still have to be synched with the car to make sure the "wireless" part of it works (lock/unlock/extra button works with RF receiver). I don't know if they can simply be programmed, but it sounds like the faultmate would be able to synch the keys, but not alter the vin number. Be interested to see if it works.

On the faultmate forum and in the owners help area(you have to own one to get on it) They discuss exactly how to do this (Programming side and there is at least one that has done this on his successfully) The blade is what is ordered by the VIN. The faultmate is equal to the dealer diagnostics and yes you can write in the information. (There are actually two options "Learn Key" & "Relearn Key". The only thing you cant do is rewrite over top of the existing information which is why you must have a new fob. The biggest hangup really is finding someone that can cut the key for you. Which is why in this situation I would definately just order the cheaper replacement and swap blades. I would make sure the dealer will program it for you first if they won't try to find someone else that will. Any indy shop with the IDS system should be able to do it also...

And as a side note my Faultmate is locked to my VIN so I don't think I could this for anyone else unless I unlock the multi-vehicle license (Which is too expensive for me). I think I can get it to read and clear fault codes though I haven't proved this yet...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112