L322 small EVAP leak & engine stuttering when accelerating p0442

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Livelunar

Reaction score
I’m new here. New to land rovers in general. I just bought a used 2010 Range Rover HSE Lux (120k miles) and I’m jumping into tuning it up. I have some minimal experience but try my best in research and maintenance whenever possible, so I’m gonna be full of questions. If you see another thread I have missed that can help, definitely lmk. I’ve looked over quite a few.

I have the fuel cap message popping up and the code came (p0442) shortly after. I got a new gas cap. Still getting the code (going to pull a battery reset to see if that changes anything). I’ve also been noticing a slight hesitation when accelerating in what seems to be sputtering at random times but usually around 25-45 mph. Almost feels like running out of gas or loss of power intermittently. Seems like it isn’t catching and is boggy. I almost feel like I can hear a slight hiss around the passenger side of the engine bay near the front of the car, but have yet to pinpoint it, and I’m not sure if I’m just hearing things.

I have a whole list of what I’m going to be doing over the summer for a full tuneup but would love to know where to start with this one specifically so I can pass emissions without replacing every possible part as of yet. I’m leaning towards the purge valve.

Super newb, but I’ve just absolutely fallen in love with this car and want to give it the tlc it deserves. Any help and resources greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
A woman who has never had a v8

Attachments

• 6E19F84F-3501-42AD-9ADD-7C5D0F415942.jpeg
    6E19F84F-3501-42AD-9ADD-7C5D0F415942.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 63

Robs12LR4

Reaction score
I'm not too many steps ahead of you but what I think most folks on the forums would recommend is a good diagnostic tool. This is like OBD II, but made specifically for Land Rover and it has a lot of bells and whistles. The "Gap" tool seems to be used frequently. (See https://www.gap-diagnostic.com/). Atlantic British (https://www.roverparts.com/) also has their own diagnostic tool called iLand, but I can't comment on the differences. Atlantic British generally is a great source of parts and has some common how-to videos.

To your specific question, the symptoms you mentioned (evap leak, sluggish acceleration, potential vacuum leak) may or may not all be related. When we bought an LR4, we also got a code for evap leak. What solved it was instructing the other drivers to ensure the gas cap was fully closed and clicked in place every time they got gas. Not likely to be your solution, but that was an easy fix for us! A diagnostic tool might give you more info on the evap leak and I suspect you may pull several codes related to the sputtering and sluggishness. The obvious possibilities are plugs, coil packs, and fuel injection.

If you have any of the prior service records, that may help. At 120k miles, if the water pump and the front and rear crossover pipes haven't been changed, that would be advisable. Look up info on timing chain replacement, that one is critical for the 5 liter engine. I would recommend getting a vacuum fluid extractor for oil changes; that's a game changer. Good luck, if you like tinkering under the hood, you'll have plenty of opportunity!

Livelunar

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it. I cleared the code and the new gas cap seems to be doing justice. Not noticing much more sluggishness as of yet.

My biggest concern will be the timing chain endeavor because it hasn’t been done. That was almost a make or break for me but I talked him down in price. Everything else seems timely on the service records.

Im immediately doing a fuel injector cleaning as well as high mileage sea foam engine cleaning, air filters, oil and filter, spark plugs, brakes, then working into changing all the fluids on the rest of it. I’ve noticed a leak under the block so that’s a cause for concern I’ll be investigating after deep cleaning the engine and running UV through it. I’m noticing parts are a bit pricier than what I’m used to paying.

The worst part is I’m super short so getting in and around the engine bay is hard haha. I’ve got a lot ahead of me, but she already runs like a champ.

Bg2pres

Reaction score
I had the exact thing on my L405 and took it to dealer. They changed the pcv and the evaporative purge valve and after $1200 it was solved. It was the evap purge valve. Maybe the same for the L322

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut