1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ladder ? for LR3 (but prob same for any Rover)

Discussion in 'LR3' started by rs7trout, May 29, 2020.

Car Parts
  1. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

I have an LR3--I often travel with one of the large thule rooftop carriers. I typically access the rooftop box by standing on the rear tire! Which although it works--when you need two hands to take something out--well it's not feasible without falling off! It just doesn't seem like a rear ladder would help as the box extends to the front of the roof.

Anyone figure out a better ladder or system for accessing a roof top carrier??

Thanks
    Ron

2. Houm_WA

Houm_WA Full Access Member

There are several aftermarket ladders available....

3. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

Thanks but all the ones I've seen so far are for rear mounted ladders with the exception of the Rhino which attaches to one of its roof top baskets--which I don't use.

4. Houm_WA

Houm_WA Full Access Member

Ahhhh....yeah I've seen no side-mounted ladders.

5. LandyAnderson

LandyAnderson New Member

33CHINACARS likes this.
  6. 33CHINACARS

33CHINACARS Member

I know this is a L322 not a LR3 but you may be able to do something like I did . I had a bar made up to go between my roof rails . From that I hand a folding aluminium ladder . Top end hooks over bar , bottom of ladder rests against the tyre. I'm short of leg & had to stand on a milk crate . But ladder works better .I have a large Thule Roof top box Hope you get the idea

Cheers Gary

IMG_0333_edited-1.JPG

7. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

Thanks--definitely makes sense--seems like the only viable alternative!!

8. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

Thanks Landy--I thought about that device--it would work in the front door section but the back doors have an angle--not sure the device would work there---have you tried it in the back door sections??

9. Mx468

Mx468 Full Access Member

10. rs7trout

rs7trout Member

Thanks-thought about those-I'm 5'8" it looks like most of those wheel steps only go about half way up the wheel--for now--I just step up on the wheel to get to the cargo on top--awkward as I have to hold on with one hand to balance-thus the reason for looking--just don't think the wheel step would give me enough height--but I think I'll try and simulate that height with a stool or chair--hey it might work!