Land rover hitch adaptor alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I have the gen 1 version where it hangs extra low. I can't complain since I got it second hand with the oem wiring, both were never used for under $200.

Anyhow, the hitch hangs way too low. I have to invert a 2 inch long drop hitch to get it to a decent level. I use my air suspension to raise it to the correct height. Gen 2 is suppose to fix that issue with being shorter. Gen 1 and gen 2 versions are both susceptible to break.

I don't tow much and can't justify the Rhino Hitch, which is a certified class IV receiver versus the oem class III.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can rotate the lock clockwise with a screwdriver, then rotate the green knob counterclockwise at the same time, the hitch should fall out. I have also removed the chrome cover on the side and driven out the pin holding the knob.

patski

Reaction score
We know the LR hitch adaptor is prone to being difficult to remove. I'm on second one and they are simply a POS. Looking at alternatives...
I opted for the curt frame mounted for under 200

Decreases your departure angle but I use the Curt one from Amazon, comes with bolt threading thingys that make it pretty easy to install.

download.png

richg

Reaction score
I just put on the curt hitch as well. There were reports on here of not being able to use a full-size spare with it due to interference. Using an angle grinder, I was able to cut and grind down the portion of the 2" receiver tube which protrudes into the spare tire area (~.25"). Once that was done, full size tire fit up there OK. It is snug, but it fits. Hitch looks very well made and fit good.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM one is only a pain if you neglect it. Remove it twice a year and spray everything with brake or choke cleaner and then lube with WD40 including the keyhole and receiver hole in the chassis and it will never let you down.

patski

Reaction score
Decreases your departure angle but I use the Curt one from Amazon, comes with bolt threading thingys that make it pretty easy to install.
I just put on the curt hitch as well. There were reports on here of not being able to use a full-size spare with it due to interference. Using an angle grinder, I was able to cut and grind down the portion of the 2" receiver tube which protrudes into the spare tire area (~.25"). Once that was done, full size tire fit up there OK. It is snug, but it fits. Hitch looks very well made and fit good.

10yrs after....

IMG_9384.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV