Land Rover LR3 reliability - how does it truly compare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
215 LR3 and Discovery owners signed up so far. Counts for recent model years:

2005: 58

2006: 68

2007: 22

2008: 15

2009: 1 ?! (no one buying these?)

A good start, but more remain needed, especially for 2007 and up.

Vehicle reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the LR3 to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2006: 135, worse than average

2005: 122, worse than average, small sample size

Note that while repair frequencies are worse than average, they're still just a bit over one repair, usually minor, per vehicle per year.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Land Rover LR3 reliability comparisons

Shermie

Reaction score
If you look at the history of LR reviews in places like Consumer Reports, Edmunds, Car and Driver, etc. there is either zero data, or a few statistics that hide the truth.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow what you're saying.

What's the truth that's not in these sites?

I'm certainly trying to provide a clearer picture. The more owners participate, the better the information we can provide.

Vehicle reliability research

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated results soon. As always, additional participants would be helpful.

Hanzo

Reaction score
I forgot to interject about the 4.0 model. That engine is Ford, made in Germany and is quite good. The basic 60 degree iron shortblock design goes back to the sixties and very stout. The OHC is novel in that on one back it is chain driven off the crank, and on the rear of that head feeds a chain to the other cylinder bank. I had one in Explorer ST and while it liked fuel, it was torqueyand willing.

Actually I am not to very disappoint in the fuel econmy of the 4.4 V8 I have never gotten less than 16 and it reached over 20 on the hwy - not bad for a 5500 lb battleship! Plus this is the only "truck" I have ever owned that is not goverend and like a BMW it has penchent for high speed - 120 MPH is doable... Oh and those German Goodyear tires are simply outstanding - quiet, grippy and great in the snow. Plus they look great with near 30k - should do 60k easily.
So far I agree with most of all your points except the tires...I just put on some Michilen Synchrones and they are much queiter than th eGy's I had on them previous...but as this is not really LR's fault there isn't much bad to say about the LR3 IMHO. just took a trip to Yosemite...while Yosemite is probably the most developed of all the parks in Cali, I was glad to have had the Rover. one Roof Rack, 7 people, and lots of gear is way more than what I could have done in my Toyota FJ cruiser(Sold due to lack of practical design, and potential issues)....btw this is the same FJ cruiser that had an engine bay crumple/bulge issue in the first model year(its all over FJ forums if you guys want to have a look, and happened to a friend of mine), that Toyota had to fix for its customers, Not exactly trouble free motoring...

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hanzo, the FJ bulge is what got me looking at LR3s. The bulge still remains and even the repaired FJs have the problem recur.

Hanzo

Reaction score
Hanzo, the FJ bulge is what got me looking at LR3s. The bulge still remains and even the repaired FJs have the problem recur.
Not sure how they addressed it in the newer model years. but I sold mine once I found out. A friend had his Bulge and got it fixed and sold his a month later...they are nice looking rigs and very capable, but certainly not the standard that I expected from Toyota at all. And talk about impractical design, poor vision in blind spots...seemingly huge, but held very little cargo and passenger seating was cramped...after a year of driving it, all these things added up to me selling the FJ and picking up a 06 LR3, been happy so far. Now that you have told me about this Im glad I moved on to greener pastures.

mkaresh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have updated results for the LR3 to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2006: 144, worse than average

2005: 129, worse than average, small sample size

Everyone who has been helping, thanks, I certainly appreciate it. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Land Rover LR3 reliability comparisons

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM