largest tire with no lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rover 4

Reaction score
the photos are good, it's the view i was looking for. I like the 18" LR3 10 spokes, but i'm not crazy about adding spacers, which, I'm running on my Disco II. I DON'T like the Compomotive wheels, and i want more side wall than the 20's will give me. The modified LR3 and LR4 are really having their day, and i can't believe there are still so few options for an 18" wheel on the LR4s. If i was only On road, I'd stick with the same setup you have. Most likely get a 2nd set of 18's, run spacers when i take a trip. thanks again, j

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a set of 285/50r20 Cooper Zeon LTZ. Great tire on and off road.
I got almost 45K miles out of the last set, with proper alignment and scheduled rotation.

They did run at the beginning, the first 4-5K miles.
They do hurt fuel, but lets be honest its horrible to begin with. Another 1-2 miles less per gallon doesn't change my expected fill-up interval.
I do have a full size spare, deflated to 18PSI. I do keep a compressor in the car (part of my emergency kit anyways)

However, the added sidewall protection, aestetics, go anywhere ability are all worth the cons.
Try pulling off the beaten path in the original Conti 255/50r20... wont make it far. Been there...embarrassing ;)
20170726_114832.jpg
20170728_114942.jpg
20171225_154553.jpg

Rover 4

Reaction score
I'm running Cooper ATP's on my Disco (285/65/R18) and really like them.
2004 Disco PS.jpg
Also have a 2nd set of Hurricane Wheels with 33x12.5 Khumo MT's. I wouldn't hesitate to get another set of Coopers, but i want an E rated tire on the LR4.

2004 Disco Khumo.jpg

2004 Disco Cooper.jpg

Jomcool

Reaction score
@jaguardoc504 Your ride looks great on the 285 Zeons! Thanks for sharing the spare pressure info and how long they rubbed when new.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the 265/50/20 Terra Grappler G2s and I love them and get compliments on their looks. I don't think there is any noticeable difference in tire noise, but I too listen to the radio when I drive around;) I just took them back down to stock tire pressure. I was over inflating them a few psi to try and get a little better mpg... They are rated to 50psi max, I think I had the fronts at 40 and the rears at 44

I have wheeled with both the stock tires and these G2s, my 20" rims are beat up and I like it like that. From 10 feet you can't see any scratches.

@Jomcool, what is the name of your green? I know they like to change it up every couple of years.

Jomcool

Reaction score
@jpjp It is called Aintree Green. In the sun, you can see that it has a bunch of metallic in it. Looks good clean but it doesn’t stay that way very long.

mrezo

Reaction score
@mrezo The ride looks great! Thanks for detailing the mods made on the spare. I’m curious on a few points. What pressure are you able to run on the spare? Does it require carrying a can of tire repair to inflate it if needed? Any concerns with removing the plastics shrouds? And, are you just ignoring the TPMS warning at start up or did you use a tool to override it? Thanks.

Thanks @Jomcool . I fully deflated the spare to fit under truck. When I need to inflate, I'll inflate to the recommended specs minus 2psi to keep it even with the opposite tire.
I wouldn't use a can. 12v air pump ftw.

As for the plastic shroud, I'm not worried about it at all. It's mainly just for aesthetics to prevent exposure of exhaust pipes. The new tire takes care of that. :)

As for TPMS, I have the GAP tool and checked that my car has the spare TPMS disabled, so I left it. It didn't come with a full size spare when I bought it, I purchased a matching full size spare afterwards.

Jomcool

Reaction score
@mrezo Thanks for the info. I wish the 285s didn’t come with the few adjustments that are needed as I think they are the best looking option.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mrezo Thanks for the info. I wish the 285s didn’t come with the few adjustments that are needed as I think they are the best looking option.

Not "adjustments" but compromises :)
They are worth the small compromises that need to be made.
Because I always carry a compressor the "reinflation" of the spare isn't an issue.
Besides going to a 275/55r20, which will require a small lift. The 285/50r20 will provide the larges sidewall available.

I am going to move to a 20" RRS wheel, which has a slightly larger ET, so possible pushing the wheels out a bit, may alleviate the issues. Not sure yet though.

For me the 18" wheels are not an option, I like the look of the 20" wheels too much. Plus I don't wheel nearly often enough to warrant another 3K investment in another set of wheel and tires, just for off-roading. When in 80% of the situation I find myself in the 20" wheels are ok. Will you gouge and scratch them, sure, but that just adds to provenance of the vehicle :)

mrezo

Reaction score

Thanks @Jomcool , I too would have gone with the 265s but found this set of barely used 285s for a very very reasonable price from another forum member. Thought I'd at least try them out. I do plan on migrating to a dedicated set of 18inch wheels in the future and having the 20s as a hwy set (and going back to road tires on this wheel). For now, these will work fine while I learn to wheel the vehicle before braving more treacherous terrain.

@jaguardoc504, the person I bought the wheels from claimed that they experienced no rubbing. Could be a different offset in the other factory wheel. Not sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi