latest LR4 comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last paragraph of the Car and Driver article about the LR4 is spot on:

But as the driving wore on, the LR4’s everyday dynamics compared less favorably  with the others’, its V-8 rumble became tedious to some, and several electronic glitches—requiring a shut-down, start-up reboot—diluted enthusiasm for its offbeat character. A logbook entry summed it up: “Charming. Irritating. Charming. Irritating. Charming. Irritating.”

Last edited:

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will reiterate comments on the GX460. We had a 2003 GX470 for 5 years, and the new GX seems to be worse in so many ways. I had headroom to spare in the 470, but cannot come close to fitting in the 460. Way overpriced and dated.

Plus, I hated the half steel spring - half air spring suspension. Only the rear had height control, and was constantly bottoming-out into the bump stops. Somehow they retained this on the GX460. At least the GX470 third-row seats were removable and made great kiddie seats in the family room; as they served no function in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Thrumcap

Reaction score
If they just put a diesel in it with much improved MPG, it would be a real winner.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah... GX460. I looked at it and my father in law eventually bought it. It's an over priced Toyota 4 runner trying to be a crossover. Useless 3rd row seat, no head room, small windows, useless cargo area, impractical huge side swing cargo door, lack of power, cheap interior trim piece etc... needless to say my in law regrets buying it after owning for 1 summer. Lexus actually managed to make the new 2010 GX460 worse then 2003-2009 GX470.
Hi tip74,

I agree with you 100% I test drove the GX, MDX, Cayenne, Q7, Q5, and X5 before going with my 2011 LR4. I traded in my 2009 ML two weeks ago for my LR4 and I am extremely happy with it thus far. I really liked my ML, but find this to be much more comfortable, powerful, and much smoother transmission. I had the new GX for a day and absolutely hated it. The steering is really loose and it just feels cheap to me in many ways. I also very much dislike the rear cargo hatch how it opens outward. VERY stupid design. I liked how the Q7 and Q5 drove, but was not impressed with the fit and finish of the inside. It is so darn plain! The ONE thing I wish the LR4 had, and it's NOT a big deal to me, as I don't mind doing it manually, is the electronic tail gate assist open and close.

I think my biggest disappointment was the X5, as I really thought it was under powered and the fit and finish were cheap and rattled a lot over bumpy roads. Visibility-wise, and this is important to me, the LR4 is WAY above all of these vehicles. I am biased though, as I love boxy SUVs. I find parking my LR4 MUCH easier than parking my ML.

-David.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purposely did not get an LR4 when I sold my Cayenne in November, as I was hoping LRNA would finally give us the Diesel as a 2012 - dare to dream.

I bought the pre-owned RRS S\C as a "gap" truck, as while it is a lot of fun to drive, does not have the head-room and functionality I need.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last paragraph of the Car and Driver article about the LR4 is spot on:

But as the driving wore on, the LR4’s everyday dynamics compared less favorably  with the others’, its V-8 rumble became tedious to some, and several electronic glitches—requiring a shut-down, start-up reboot—diluted enthusiasm for its offbeat character. A logbook entry summed it up: “Charming. Irritating. Charming. Irritating. Charming. Irritating.”

I think this nails it for a lot of people, plus the JD Powers surveys. There are so many wonderful aspects to the LR4, but there remains that fear you'll be stuck someplace if you're into off roading. I love the LR4, mind you, but it always seems that a quarter to a third are defective in some way.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally disagree in regard to the V8 rumble being annoying, that's an LR signature and without that rich, beautiful and authoritative sound, the Land Rovers would simply sound like wimpy trucks like the Lexus and Merc... Lame Car and Driver! Lame...

Last edited:

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree that the engines sound good.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought the engine noise to be well muted during normal driving. I can hardly hear it at all unless I put my foot into it.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo