Lean condition at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCJDB

Reaction score
Yeah good question. I didn't feel too much hesitation on throttle or anything like that. I did wonder if part of the surge at idle was fuel pump related though.. kind of like only a certain amount of fuel was getting through it? I dunno though, this is month 3 with a Land Rover of any type for me so I don't know what I don't know so far. I'm generally mechanically inclined and it made sense only if to say it felt a bit like an old carb that needed to be cleaned out lol.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your prior post said failed fuel sending unit, which is different than fuel pump. Fuel sending unit just sends the fuel level to the gauge (at least that’s my understanding). As for fuel pumps, there are actually three pumps on this vehicle. The one in the tank is the low pressure pump, which delivers fuel to the two high pressure pumps under the hood (one hp pump for each fuel rail). The HP pumps have given some people problems. I haven’t heard of the LP pump in the tank giving problems until much higher mileage. I think typical symptom of fuel pump failure would be loss of power under load.

Torn PCV is sort of like a dirty carb - gives you the wrong fuel-air mixture. Good luck with it. Keep us informed - helps us all to hear about problems and fixes. The torn PCV is something you can fix on your own if you are so inclined. Some places want to pull the supercharger to get at it, so it can get expensive. There are a number of detailed threads on it in these forums, including a couple with photos of what to do.

PCJDB

Reaction score
My fault yes. It was the Low Pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank. From what I learned after picking it up today is that they apparently have a tendency to have lower pressure than they should. At the same time they replaced the fuel filter, pressure sensor, and fuel pump assembly. Sounded like a common issue that could also result in a leaking tank if left too long? 2 other LR4's were there for the same issue. So, possibly not related to the lean condition at idle codes being thrown by the PCV.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s good info. Do you know if you had a trouble code for the fuel pump, or did they just happen to test it? It’s one thing we can’t see with the GAP tool (on mine, the reading just shows N/A).

I am aware of the tank leak problem. Theres a plastic retaining ring or flange or some such thing in the top of the pump that cracks and causes a fuel leak. Sounds like something they need to recall to me. There is an open investigation on earlier models (2011 or so). Sounds like it should be expanded to later models.

PCJDB

Reaction score
No trouble code that I could find in my tool either. The shop just wanted to test pressure to make sure there was nothing else and found it. Also tested the water pump while there.

Wood

Reaction score
for the job, pcv valves off amazon. You’ll need two (but in my case only one was bad). I used a dental pick to pull the plastic tabs. In hind sight I would have done the same, just would have used more care. The tabs on the pcv valve were brittle and snapped right off but think the pick also pulled the piece off the valve cover. I also might have pushed down on the pcv valve to help it release easier from the valve cover.

2014 RR Sport 3.6 SuperCharged V6. Was getting P2189/P2187 and P030ox misfire codes. Replaced spark plugs to fix P030x code. Still getting P2189/P2187 codes. Cleaned throttle body but codes came back. I suspect PCV but not sure where it's located on this engine. I see a number of vacuum hoses. Is there somewhere I can get a complete engine diaqram?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PCV valve(s)are on top of passenger side valve cover. they are about 2" diameter. a little difficult to get to with the supercharger on, but definitly do-able.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA